12-04-2020 01:56 AM - edited 12-04-2020 02:37 AM
Someone else had a similar question but the thread was locked, so I am asking again. Mine has a twist and I think I may know what to do next but want to be sure I do it correctly.
For some reason I can only print BW to printer. When I print from my iPhone it will print in color. My laptop is updated as far as it can go. And using weblink for the printer and checking for firmware updates, it says it is up to date.
I think this is something recent as I am fairly certain I printed in color recently from this laptop. So I am guessing I may need to uninstall and reinstall software, I just want to make sure I do everything in the right order to save time and possible headache. 😄
BTW, HP Smart App on laptop was also recently updated on 11/10/2020 to v 5.5.6. Not sure if this has anything to do with my issue.
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-08-2020 10:46 AM
@KLAT, Welcome to HP Support Community!
Follow the steps below to isolate and resolve the issue-
Use HP Print and Scan Doctor
Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printing/scanning issues.
For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor
Check the printer driver settings. Refer to the document for help- HP Printers - Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows)
If the issue persists, I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below:
1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
2) Select your HP Printer
3) Select Uninstall
4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers
5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’
6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”
8). Click on the “Drivers” tab
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
10) Select Ok
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
12) Close Devices and Printers.
Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.
If you still have issues, try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:
• Uninstall the printer drivers. Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.
• When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.
• Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.
Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help
Additionally, if the printer is connected wireless, follow the steps below-
1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.
3. elect “Add a printer or scanner“.
4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.
5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.
6. select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.
7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.
8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
12-08-2020 12:04 PM - edited 12-08-2020 12:11 PM
12-08-2020 12:37 PM
OK, it seems like I have figured out what happened.
Possibly, during my last update on the Smart App (see orig post), it needed a printer driver update to be completed as well?
Nothing told me I needed to do that when I updated HP Smart.
Even though my printer was set up as default and was shown in the list as both Printer and Fax, I needed to add it again.