Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
LenovoThinkPad T440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP LaserJet P1102W printer after installing HP Smart application no longer prints, warns that the toner is not original. Purchased in 2011 always used compatible toner, this week having installed HP Smart application, no longer prints warns that the toner is not original. Explain to me what happened and instructions to fix it. I have reinstalled Windows 10 twice but printer NOT printing. The HP Smart application will have entered a string in the system to prevent the machine from working with compatible toner. I ask for help thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@osti, Welcome to HP Support Community!

The printer is not compatible with the HP Smart App. I'd suggest you use the printer software to print from. 

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@osti, Welcome to HP Support Community!

The printer is not compatible with the HP Smart App. I'd suggest you use the printer software to print from. 

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, it was windows 10 that told me to install Hp Smart.

It is not a question of drivers but of compatible and original toners.

My son has a laptop with windows and it prints correctly.

Communication between my laptop and the printer detects non-genuine toners and blocks writing.
Communication between the son's laptop and the printer does not detect anything and prints fine, even without the drivers she recommended.

Regards

HP Recommended

@osti

Now that you know use the printer like before 🙂

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

For me the printer is useless.

For the child without installing Hp Smart, both wifi and usb can be used.

To use the printer, I pass the file from the laptop to the phone and from the phone to the printer.

There must be a way to erase the information about the printer or my laptop received from Hp Smart.

Regards

HP Recommended

Update:

I performed a print spooler cleanup.

The printer printed me one letter and not the second, the printer froze.

Now I wonder is the print spooler giving problems? Why do I print one page and the following nothing?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Second update:

According to news of the newspaper 'La Stampa' published on 20 September 2016 modified 04 July 2019:

"""
Surprise, HP printers stop working if they have a non-genuine cartridge

Since September 13th, thousands of Officejet Pros no longer accept compatible cartridges from other brands. Blame for a pre-programmed deadline in the software.

"""

I think the HP Smart program has included a code that sees if the toner is genuine or not.

I think HP has to let users decide whether to use genuine or compatible toners.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@osti

The third-party ink cartridges will work. But there are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it is not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Tej1602.

As written in my previous post, cleaning the print spooler I was able to print one page, the next not.

I always choose the best toner supplier out there.

I don't think this is the problem, something escapes me.

I have to keep the printer as it is waiting for a good offer.

Regards.

HP Recommended

Update:

I thought and followed the advice of December 17th by reinstalling new drivers. At the end a pop comes out saying that the toners are not from HP.

Now the printer works perfectly as before.
Many thanks Tej1602

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.