Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer Failure stating there is a problem with the printer or ink system.  Turn printer off, then on.  I have reset printer and tried installing latest drivers.  I see this issue quite a bit in the community.  Is there a solve?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @RobRm,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're dealing with a common issue with the HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer. The "problem with the printer or ink system" error can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to try to resolve it.

Basic Troubleshooting Steps:

Reset the Printer:

• Turn off the printer.
  • Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet.
  • Wait for about 60 seconds.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer and then to the power outlet.
  • Turn on the printer and check if the error persists.

Check Ink Cartridges:

• Ensure that all ink cartridges are properly installed.
  • Check if any of the ink cartridges are low or empty. Replace them if necessary.

Clean Cartridge Contacts:

• Remove the ink cartridges.
  • Clean the electrical contacts on the cartridges and in the printer with a lint-free cloth lightly moistened with distilled water.
  • Allow the contacts to dry completely.
  • Reinstall the cartridges and check if the error is resolved.

Update Firmware:

• Sometimes updating the printer's firmware can resolve such issues.
  • Go to the HP Customer Support website, enter your printer model, and download the latest firmware if available.
  • Follow the instructions to update the firmware.

Inspect Print Head:

• The print head might be clogged or damaged, causing the error.
  • If your printer has a removable print head, you can try cleaning it. Refer to your printer's manual for instructions.

Check for Paper Jams:

• Even a small piece of paper stuck inside the printer can cause this error.
  • Open the printer's covers and look for any jams. Remove any paper carefully.

Additional Steps:

If none of the above steps work, you can try more advanced troubleshooting:

HP Print and Scan Doctor:

• HP provides a tool called "HP Print and Scan Doctor" that can diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems.
  • Download and run this tool to see if it can identify and fix the issue.

Factory Reset:

• As a last resort, you can perform a factory reset on the printer.
  • This will erase all settings, so use it only if necessary.
  • Refer to your printer's manual for instructions on how to perform a factory reset.

Remember to always turn off your printer properly using the power button. Pulling the plug can sometimes cause issues.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.