Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8610.   Was in middle of printing document when machine said it was low on black ink.  I had just replaced cartridge maybe month before so thought it might need to be shaken up or something.  I removed cartridge, put it back in and am now getting "HP Projected Cartridge Installed.   Replace black cartridge."    Well that's odd.   I googled and it tells me that cartridges can only be used in the machine they were originally used in. That it marks all Genuine HP ink cartridges used in your printer so that they cannot be used in any other printer.   But this is the only printer it's ever been in.  And not 5 minutes before it was working fine.    It's wi-fi enabled so I entered in the IP address, went to Settings/Preferences/HP Cartridge Protection and "Disable HP Cartridge Protection - Future cartridges will not be protected. Currently installed and previously protected cartridges will remain protected." is checked off.    Thought maybe there's something wrong with the piece that the cartridges go in.  So I took them all out.  Now I'm getting an error message for each color cartridge.  I need to print out legal documents to probate my mother's will on Monday.   So I went purchased set of 4 new Genuine HP cartridges and installed that.   Same message.       How can they be protected when they came from a brand new unopened HP box?   Here's link to what I purchased: https://www.staples.ca/products/108230-en-hp-950xl-black-high-yield-951-cyan-magenta-and-yellow-orig...    I don't understand why this just stopped working right in middle of printing.   I can't afford a new printer because I just paid $165 on ink that I can't return because it's been opened.   And Staples and library are both closed on Sundays because of COVID.   I now need a friend who will let me print over 25 pages.   I also need HP to tell me how to fix this problem ASAP.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@teamkobza, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to use the printer due to this error regarding the ink cartridges.

Let us perform a factory reset on the printer that may resolve this issue. 

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.