Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I joined the hp instant ink a few months ago..I have have had only one lot of  free ink i think you owe me two or three!!

WHERE ARE THEY???

Why arent you sending me them??

You send me bills online but no ink i bought my  new printer and in th epackage was the  9 month free ink  package WHERE IS MY INK???

I AM SO FED UP WITH HP !!!

thanks

Mary

Mature student!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Mary,

Please get back, if any of this is unclear.  You didn't specify, have you run out of ink?  Click the black ink drop on the front display panel for ink levels.

Please note the Free Ink is for 15 pages (NOT a new cartridge) each month.  That is you will receive a new cartridge when the ink is used up in the first ones you received.  They have lots of ink.  So if you don't print many pages they won't be replaced until then.  This may illustrate that for you (from the next link):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instant Ink plans.PNG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instant Ink is a very complicated program.  Possibly not for you?  Read all the small print in the Terms of Service (see your Account).  If you don’t print 50 pages per month, why mess with it. 

The free ink is a gimmick to get you signed up.  If you only print 15 pages, it’s not work messing with.  The retail cartridges will work better for you.

This link (place cursor on the link and Enter ) will explain fully what you signed up for. 

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/  entitled Instant Ink – How it Works.

The ink is not sent out until HP – while monitoring your ink levels - detects that you need a replacement.  [NOTE: pay special attention to the four items of information FAQ in the above link:  “Will I get cartridges every month,” “What if I don’t know how much I print,” etc. The Terms of Agreement are also important  (see ## below for a link).

There is lots of info in your account.

So, look in your account for the number of pages that you have printed (grand total).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-instant-ink-series/5264756/model/5401249/document/c03767640

Also you can see page total in a Printer Status Report.

For the Printer Status Report, on the front display panel, touch Set up (gear wheel) then touch Reports and Printer Status Report (it prints out).

## This next link explains the replacement plans and a link for getting into your account.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-instant-ink-series/5264756/model/5401249/document/c04571455  entitled HP Instant Ink - Obtaining Replacement Ink Cartridges

Please note that if you cancel, the Instant Ink Cartridges become disabled, so use them up before you cancel (and before the next billing cycle).  You will need retail cartridges on hand.  The originals that came in the box will do but they may be dried out if sitting unused for several months.

I am not an HP employee; just searching for helpful answers for queries on the forum.

A reply is greatly appreciated, if suggestions help or not, as the multitude of volunteers on the forums respond to lots of queries, which requires a great deal of time.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The Instant Ink cartridges generally have more ink than even the XL sized cartridges.  Are you running low on ink?  The Instant Ink program monitors your usage and ink levels and is supposed to ship you ink if you have less than two months usage available.

Please note that the Instant Ink program is selling you pages per month.  It intends to automatically ship ink cartridges as needed, but the ink is not what you are buying.  If your  Instant Ink subscription is ended the cartridges will no longer work in your printer, they would need to be replaced with retail cartridges.

The document here has information on contacting HP to get replacement Instant Ink cartridges if you are running low and cartridges have not been sent.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks  for your reply.

I understood I was to have ink refils every month.

So why are they billing me obviously i am not paying anything.

But it seems futile as my usage is much many more pages as they suggested!

Therefore I wont beable to afford joining this as its unfair on me?

What would I be paying for??

Cannot see whay i would pay out monthly for nothing???

It isnt helping me at all??

Can you explain the point of it?

Many thanks

Mature student!!
HP Recommended

Hello Mary,

Please get back, if any of this is unclear.  You didn't specify, have you run out of ink?  Click the black ink drop on the front display panel for ink levels.

Please note the Free Ink is for 15 pages (NOT a new cartridge) each month.  That is you will receive a new cartridge when the ink is used up in the first ones you received.  They have lots of ink.  So if you don't print many pages they won't be replaced until then.  This may illustrate that for you (from the next link):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instant Ink plans.PNG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instant Ink is a very complicated program.  Possibly not for you?  Read all the small print in the Terms of Service (see your Account).  If you don’t print 50 pages per month, why mess with it. 

The free ink is a gimmick to get you signed up.  If you only print 15 pages, it’s not work messing with.  The retail cartridges will work better for you.

This link (place cursor on the link and Enter ) will explain fully what you signed up for. 

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/  entitled Instant Ink – How it Works.

The ink is not sent out until HP – while monitoring your ink levels - detects that you need a replacement.  [NOTE: pay special attention to the four items of information FAQ in the above link:  “Will I get cartridges every month,” “What if I don’t know how much I print,” etc. The Terms of Agreement are also important  (see ## below for a link).

There is lots of info in your account.

So, look in your account for the number of pages that you have printed (grand total).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-instant-ink-series/5264756/model/5401249/document/c03767640

Also you can see page total in a Printer Status Report.

For the Printer Status Report, on the front display panel, touch Set up (gear wheel) then touch Reports and Printer Status Report (it prints out).

## This next link explains the replacement plans and a link for getting into your account.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-instant-ink-series/5264756/model/5401249/document/c04571455  entitled HP Instant Ink - Obtaining Replacement Ink Cartridges

Please note that if you cancel, the Instant Ink Cartridges become disabled, so use them up before you cancel (and before the next billing cycle).  You will need retail cartridges on hand.  The originals that came in the box will do but they may be dried out if sitting unused for several months.

I am not an HP employee; just searching for helpful answers for queries on the forum.

A reply is greatly appreciated, if suggestions help or not, as the multitude of volunteers on the forums respond to lots of queries, which requires a great deal of time.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

Hello again Mary,

You indicate you’re being billed.  Well, you must be printing more than 15 pages each month.  Note one word printed counts as a page.  See Footnote No. 1 below, where more than 15 pages is charged.  That's probably what you're billed for.  If so the so-called "Free Plan" isn't for you.

If you would print more than 50 pages per month you may consider the plan costing $3/month.

HP Instant Ink plans cost:    50/MONTH @ $3; 100/MONTH@  $5; 300/MONTH @  $10

However note the HP 62 cartridge costing $13 would print 200 b&w pages or 165 color pages

Walmart prices (as of 08-28-17):

HP62XL cartridges: $31 (b&w  600pg.);  $29 (color  415pg.)

HP 62 cartridges:    $13 (b&w  200pg.);  $18 (tricolor165pg.)

Best Buy prices (as of 08-30-17): HP 62 $13 (black – regular price $l7  ) and  $18 (multicolor) (regular price $22)

From your thoughts earlier today, yes what's the point of continuing if you don't print lots. 

You can sign up later at any time if you feel so incllined.  Note, printing lots of 8x10 color prints uses lots of ink.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note the 15 pages free (illustration in my earlier post) has a tiny footnote (Number 1), which at the very bottom of the page reads:

(Footnote No. 1):  "Print free for life: The free printing plan allows you to print 15 pages per month at no cost (paper not included) for the life of your printer. Additional pages are excluded and will be charged to customer credit/debit card at the end of the month at a rate of $1 per each additional set of 10 pages (Customer to be charged $1 for each set even if customer doesn’t use entire set). HP reserves the right to modify or cancel the free printing plan anytime on 60 days’ notice. This offer cannot be redeemed for cash except as required by law. Additional information available in HP Instant Ink Terms at HP Instant Ink Terms of Service. Free printing plan not available on all printers"

The link in my last may have not worked.  Cut and paste into your brower url address line, if needed. 

Here it is again (just left click once on it and it should open):

This link will explain fully what you signed up for.  https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/  entitled Instant Ink – How it Works.

HP Recommended

Hi 

Thank you so much!

Very complcated me thinks..

i thought it meant free inks every month!

So very cheesed off to see that it doesnt ? He hee!

I guess i would have to see what suite me better..

certainly more than 30 pages every month but then again maybe not!

As i craft printing off pages..

Its just one's income is limited!

But thank you have saved the info..i am in the UK so monies are slightly different here.

Hopefully they do the same offers .

If i were paying it would be £9.99 or £10.00 per month..

So maybe not worth it.

Thank you so much for explaining so succinctly though.

Mary

Mature student!!
HP Recommended

Hello again Mary,

Your responding to the posts is very helpful (helps for future reference) and is greatly appreciated and thanks for the KUDOS too!!

If you will print 30 pages per month, then you certainly want to drop the so-called “free” Instant Ink program (15 pages per month).

Here is my guess as to the Math of enrolling 50 pages/month or buying ink at Argos.

It works out even cost either way.  Therefore, buy locally.  I see others have lots of problems with HP Instant Ink.

Here's the Math -- NOTE  (02-17-18 prices)  : 

HP.com cost for 62XL is $42.49 color and $38.49 b&w (30.29 Brit. lbs. and 27.44 lbs., respectively).

Argos prices for  HP C2PO7AE XL tricolor is 38 Brit. lbs. and HP62 C2DO5AE XL Black is 32 lbs.

The math on that is you could go about:

- With a 62XL tricolor  14 months (@ 30 pages/month) with a tricolor @ 415 color pages (costing 38 Br.Lbs.)

- Instant Ink @ 2.13 Brit. lbs. for 15 months would total 31.95 Brit. lbs.

You could switch over to the 50 pages per month.  At least try it out at 50 pages for 2.13 Brit. pounds, it is a bargain.

Since you are apparently enrolled, you easily could change to the 50 pages and if you don't use 50 pages , the balance is carried over.  (to a max of 50 total).  Thus you have a cushion if you went over any one month.

The link previously provided  "Instant Ink - How it Works" states:

"$2.99 -- Pages per month --50 Rollover pages total;  Up to 50  Additional pages

Each additional set of 15 pages for just $1.00"     (this means 50 + 50 rollover + 15)

[my earlier said that 62XL cartridges print estimated 600 b&w pages or 415 color pages.]

Also, please remember that one word on a page counts as a page.

So if your 'craft - printing off pages" activities have lots of color, as I pointed out that uses lots of color.

Thus you potentially could use up the Instant Ink color cartridge in a month with fewer than 50 pages.

Then HP would ship out a replacement cartridge before the month ends.

You can drop out or reinroll in the program at any time.  For that, check your account for information.  For one thing you can check on the status of shipments (replacements) and number of pages.

Hope this is not clear as mud. 

Best wishes and Bye.

Rich 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.