Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP 6978 will not accept print jobs or copy jobs. This fault even is present if connected directly via USB to PC (no WiFi).

Pulling the power plug will allow printer to startup, but does not clear the problem. Typical error on screen is "shut down improperly".  Pressing power switch off only returns the locked "shutting down" screen (blue rotating circle).

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @hun,

I'd like to help!

Let's try a power reset on the printer

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me. This printer has been down for several weeks now.

I tried the power down sequence , saw the improper shutdown warning, went through the check paper jam,

Screen comes back to the 0x6100004a error code page. I hide this messages and normal screen comes up

with yellow printer failure warning. I try to print using USB cable to printer from my PC. PC shows Printer Failure warning.

No change in state of printer.

I tried the firmware update and  it fails, and says to turn printer off then on. Back to the same error state as before.

Very frustrating.

HP Recommended

Try the below suggestions -

Check for obstructions in the carriage path

Remove any loose paper or obstructions that might be blocking the carriage path.

1. Turn off the printer, and then disconnect the power cord.

2. Open the cartridge access door to get to the carriage inside the printer.

EXAMPLES OF A CARTRIDGE ACCESS DOOR

Examples of printer door locations
  3. Look for and remove any obstructions in the carriage path, such as crumpled paper or dislodged labels.

EXAMPLE OF A PRINTER WITH AN OBSTRUCTION IN THE CARRIAGE PATH

Example of a printer with paper debris in the carriage path
  4. If the carriage has a latch, gently press it down to make sure it is locked into place.

CAUTION: 

Ink tank printers: If the carriage latch is secured, do not press down on it. Doing so might damage the printer.

EXAMPLES OF THE CARRIAGE LATCH

Example of the carriage latches
  5. If the carriage is not locked in place, move it to each side, removing any obstructions blocking its path.

CAUTION: 

Do not force the carriage to move if it is locked or stuck. This can damage the printer.

6. Close the printer door.

7. Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the printer.

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

6. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

If the issue persists, I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer

Hope this helps, keep me posted!

HP Recommended

There are no visible paper jams. No change in state of printer.

In the top of the screen it does show "M cartridge needs replaced". I press OK and cartridge holder will not move to center of platen for cartridge replacement.

HP Recommended

Try moving the carriage with your hands slowly and check if it initiates a movement.

if it does not, I’d recommend you contact HP Phone Support in your region regarding service options for your printer.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web form and proceed further.

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.