Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I was given anScreenshot 2018-09-27 14.36.55.png hp deskjet 2132 but when I download the driver it says no device has been found. How do I get my computer to recognize the printer? I tried entering the serial # in the box that pops up for devices.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@mustardseed

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

Let's try adding the print driver using Apple Software Update, here is how to do it:

1.) Connect the printer to PC using a USB cable.

2.) Click the Apple menu, then click System Preferences.

3.) Click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

4.) If your printer is listed,  click the name of your printer, then click the minus sign  to delete the printer. 

5.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, then select the name of your printer.

Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

7.) Click Add to add the printer to the list.

8.) Try to print.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I got my computer to recognize the printer but it won't print. 😞

HP Recommended

@mustardseed

Any error when you try to print?

Have you tried the steps I suggested in my previous post?

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again,

This is the 1st opportunity I have had to try this again.  Yes, I followed all of your steps. I actually, just did that again today. My printer is a deks jet 2132. For somereason on my computer it comes up as 2130 Series.  Anyway, When I try to print, the job shows up and the bar looks like it is going to print but then nothing happens. 😞

HP Recommended

@mustardseed

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I see that you were interacting with @senan6806, as he is Out of office, I would love to assist you further.

• Have you tried making a standalone copy on the printer and check if that works?
  • Make sure the USB cable being used is no longer than 3 meters.
  • Do not use a USB hub, connect the cable directly to the printer and to a USB 2.0 port on the MAC
  • To check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.
  4. Click on the arrow for USB 2.0 BUS and check if the printer is listed.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
The printer did print a stand alone copy. However, it doesn't show under USB 2.0 BUS. 😞  Also, every time I attempt to print it prints out the test page. 😞 The cable is brand new.  It is plugged in to the only available port (The others have my mouse & keyboard) I checked for a 3.0 but there isn't one listed.
HP Recommended

@mustardseed

• Try interchanging the USB connections, unplug either the mouse or the keyboard and connect the printer and check if the MAC detects the printer in the USB list as mentioned in my previous post.
  • If the MAC still does not recognize the printer under USB ports, perform a system reset on the MAC. Refer to this document to know how.
  • Once the reset is done, try connecting and adding the printer again as mention in previous posts.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

😞  I followed all of the steps.  When I added the printer the option it gave me was HP Deskjet 2130 series so I chose that. When I try to print something it shows up in the que saying ready to print, printing then complete but it doesn't print. 😞

HP Recommended

@mustardseed

In this case, let us try creating a New User account on your MAC, install the printer and check if that helps.

1. Click on the Apple Logo in the upper left-hand corner of the screen and select System Preferences.
    Apple Menu, System Preferences
  2. Click on Users & Groups.
    System Preferences, Users & Groups
  3. Click the Lock to make changes and enter your Administrative Name and Password.
    System Preferences, Users & Groups, Lock IconAdministrative Login Prompt
  4. Click the plus (+) icon to add an account.
    System Preferences, Users & Groups, Plus Icon
  5. Select the New Account Type. The most common account types will be Administrator and Standard. Standard users can install apps and change settings for their account only. Administrators can install apps, manage other users, and change settings that affect the entire system.
    New User, Select Account Type
  6. Enter the New Account Name and Password.
    New User, Enter Account Details

Once a New user account has been created, install the printer as mentioned in the first post by @senan6806 and try printing.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.