Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2540 All-in-one printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer works fine 1/100 times, but the rest of the time, when I plug it in, it blinks all the lights continuously. I've tried leaving it for hours, unplugging it for hours, even taking it apart and un/re-plugging in all the ribbons and wires. HP says it's in an error state so I need to service it in the guide here, but there's no option to service it online. I just want my printer to work and I'm tired of nothing yielding results! How do I service it or fix this issue myself?

*Note: I just recently moved, so I had to unplug the printer, otherwise I would've left it as is. The last time I got it to work, I left it plugged in overnight when it was flashing, then unplugged it for a day, then re-plugged it in and it worked fine. This method has been re-attempted to no avail. I've also experimented with different outlets with no success.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@a_o,

I reviewed your post and I understand that all the lights on the printer are blinking.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Have you followed all the steps listed in the article you have shared?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 
  2. Remove USB cable, if present. 
  3. Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge. 
  4. Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer. 
  5. Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, yes I tried that twice just to double-check. Neither try was successful.

HP Recommended

@a_o

This looks like a hardware issue.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah, it probably is, but if you'll recall from my original post, I cannot figure out how to contact HP support. I went to the support website and it only gave me the option to contact the community, hence why I was here in the first place. I even tried the virtual assistant on HP's support site and asked to "service my printer", but it was confused by my request and other attempts were similarly fruitless.

Also, if it is a hardware issue, would there be some way to identify what specifically is wrong? I'm quite technically savvy and could fix it myself if I could diagnose the issue.

HP Recommended

@a_o,

Please let me know your region (Country) in a private message and I will share the contact details to reach the support team.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.