Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Lenovo
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi

i have an HP 3630 and I’m having constant problems when trying to print photos onto glossy photo paper where the black ink just smears after printing.

It doesn’t matter how long I leave the print the black inspiration still smears. I printed a batch of photos fir a friend a week ago and carefully left them to dry, they still smear. 

I use HP photo print paper

i use HP instant ink

I have my  print set to photo print

I am printing on the correct side of the paper, the glossy paper only has one glossy side!

I have tried printing from my laptop, my iPad, my android phone, my husbands iPhone and the same issue occurs with them all.

I've noticed that there are pages and pages of the same problems with hp printers scattered throughout the internet and not printer model number specific.

Printer paper isn’t cheap and I’ve wasted more than I care to count up, more than I can afford probably

Does anyone have a solution to this or is it a case of dumping the HP printers for another brand. I’d be sorry to do this as I’ve always stuck to HP for the past 20 years.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

As a test take one of the bad prints & print on the other side, does the ink still smear?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

I’ll get that done tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it

HP Recommended

I printed on the Matt side andit certainly didn't smear as much, however, this is clearly the wrong side.

On the correct side, areas that are not black are perfect, it's only the areas of black ink that smear.  There is such an obvious demarcation between the areas, the white or coloured areas are fixed and glossy as they should be but the black areas are Matt black and smeary if you touch it.

Its a bit expensive to have to buy fixing sprays to try and stop this happening. I think I might  have to try laminating the photos as a last resort as I don't know what else to try. It's certainly a defect in the print.

HP Recommended

It is possible that you got a bad batch of paper, try another brand.

It it also possible that the cartridge is defective, give HP support a call.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Or there is a problem with the black ink on glossy paper

I have a brand new 3630 and tried to print on some glossy Avery business cards and the black ink refuses to dry

HP Recommended

after some experimentation I discovered that selecting a non-hp glossy photo paper, my problem of smearing black ink went away

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.