Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My old router died and I just bought a new WiFi 6 Mesh system (Netgear Nighthawk MR60 Mesh).  Every device (phones, laptops, desktops, Xbox, iPads, etc.) connected to the new WiFi network.  However, when I tried to connect my OfficeJet Pro 8600, I continually get an error "Invalid wireless password (WPA) entered" after entering the WiFi Password.  I have tried it over and over confirming that I have the password typed correctly.  This new Mesh network does not show a different network name between 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  It uses the same network name.  It also does not allow me to "turn off" the 5ghz signal.  I understand from reading that the printer needs to connect to the 2.4ghz signal.  However, this new technology does not separate the two signals.

Other things I've tried after reading posts on the community board:

-Restored Network Defaults, then tried again from the beginning (did not work).

-Manually typed in my SSID Network Name instead of choosing the name in the list of routers found after searching (did not work).

-Turned off my router wireless security password.  Printer did connect.  However, after I turned the router wireless security password back on, the printer lost connection and would not connect with the password.

I've spent over 5 hours trying "fixes" and nothing has worked.  I would welcome any help as I'm ready to take a baseball bat to my printer at this point.  This is obviously an issue with the printer as other devices that "need" a 2.4ghz signal have connected with no issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did you check for firmware updates for the MR60 & 8600?

It's likely the Netgear needs to do some work on there end as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

? what Security Option are yo using?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Be sure to change the security settings of the router  to WPA2, the printer does not support WPA3 authentication.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I'm using WPA2 (AES).  I also tried to switch to WPA (TKIP)/WPA-2 (AES) but no luck either.  The only way the printer will connect is if I turn my security to "none" removing a password, which of course is not a good solution.

HP Recommended

Connect it directly to the base station.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but that's not an option.  The printer is not in the same room as any of the stations.

HP Recommended

Actually I did move one of the stations into the room with the printer and connected it with the RJ-45 connection.  While this did provide a solution for the printer to actually work and connect to the network, I find it disappointing that a wireless printer has to be hardwired connected to the network since it won't wirelessly connect.  HP has some work to do to get their printers to work with the latest technology.

HP Recommended

Did you check for firmware updates for the MR60 & 8600?

It's likely the Netgear needs to do some work on there end as well.

HP Recommended

The router firmware was already updated.  I did notice that the firmware for the printer needed an update.  It took a little time to find the correct firmware since there were 4 different versions (actually tried a few until one worked).  After the printer firmware update, it has now connected to the wireless network.  Thanks for the suggestions and help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.