Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi @nikknack13

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Same thing happened to me this morning.  Bought a new HP Deskjet 2652.  While trying to download driver, a chat box help session box pops up.  After a brief exchange, was asked to call 844 323 1353 for additional help.  Forget the guy's name, but he had a thick Indian accent.  Made some small talk about the virus in China, and that it's the result of the tendency of the Chinese  to eat anything - not God's plan blah, blah, blah.  Next thing I knew I'd given him access to my PC.  He told me the Alurean Trojan Virus was blocking the printer driver download.  The guy had me, but then he laid it on a little too thick, and my **bleep** detector went off.  Told me everyone using my router was at risk.  Bad people would do nasty things, etc.  Told me a number of things he would need to do to protect me.  I asked him if he works for HP, and he replied that he does.  I told him that's hard to believe, and then pulled the plug.  Don't know how much he would eventually ask me to pay.  I'm worried about what he may have done in the several minutes he had control of my PC. 

HP Recommended

I rec'd a message on this board from an HP employee that says to check the mailbox for a personal message so they can get more info...Where is the mailbox icon? Why arent they addressing this?  

HP Recommended

I ended up fighting PayPal and sending 30 requests for money from this scammer via Paypal and FINALLY got him to refund my $99. Of course paypal took a fee but worth getting money back from fake TechAxiel 

HP Recommended

This exact thing happened to me... Like an idiot I let him on my computer and paid. HELP!

HP Recommended

@ami1983 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

I have experienced the same issue and sent an E-mail to Mr. Tuan Tran president of printer and imaging division over a month ago.  To date I have received no response.  I detailed the issue in the E-mail.  What is HP doing to resolve the issue?

Afleming

HP Recommended

I got scammed . I paid $200. And they had control of my computer for 30 minutes. I am trying to stop payment because it was just 2 hours ago. I am afraid they might have access to my computer anytime they want now. Kinda sad.

HP Recommended

Sorry about this.  I filed so many reports to HP, paypal, etc and no one could help.  Afyer hounding the guy and calling his cell and sending him paypal payment requests to refund my money, he FINALLY did!!!!  

I was earlier told by Paypal that I should ocntatc my bank and they could request to reverse the charge.

Good luck.  I also changed all of my passwords.

Why HP sends us for help to a 123 site and the chat person is a scammer is beyond me - it is infuriating actually to put their customers at risk.  I will NEVER buy ANYTHING from HP again.  

HP Recommended

I've just spent the last hour on the phone to my Dad who has partly fallen for this scam - he was installing a new HP printer and went through the login and entered a web chat and the end result is people phoning him, taking control of his computer (via support.me login) and identifying a 'trojan virus' and then saying they can fix it for £389.

Luckily he became suspicious and didn't pay but I'm concerned as they had control of his computer for a while so don't know what they may have put on it. I've told him to leave his computer off the internet and back everything up and will likely need him to completely reset his computer all for the sake of trying to install a HP printer. I thought he'd just been a bit gullible but from this thread it sounds like it is a common problem and don't know how you can end up chatting to scammers through the HP website/support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.