Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401dw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi,

I'm experiencing a strange problem with my LaserJet.

It will print nothing but two blank pages and then jam on the third with a paper pick up error.

This happens whether I print from my computer or try to print an internal test or configuration page, so I know it's not a driver issue. I've tried factory resetting and a hard reset by unplugging, holding down the power button for 30 seconds and then re-plugging in.

The printer is plugged directly into a wall socket and is not connected to any surge protector or power strip.

Any suggestions?

I was given this printer so I've never used it before but I was told it had "connectivity" problems. It does connect fine to my wireless network.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

How does it print from the upper manual paper tray?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

It feeds one page and then stops with the "No paper pickup" message. Page is still blank/no image. I was trying to print a status page.

HP Recommended

The paper is too slick for the product. The paper might not be engaged with the feed rollers. The paper-width guide is pressed against the paper stack too tightly. The paper settings in the print driver do not match the paper loaded in the paper tray.

Hope This Helps,
Peter

HP Recommended

If you have another cartridge try that, especially if it is a non-HP cartridge. The cartridge drum drive used on this model was very problematic for 3rd party vendors to copy and many fail. Look at the right side of the cartridge for a short spring loaded shaft. it should have a couple of teeth on it, make sure they are not bent or broken.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I've ordered new paper but I'm not primarily worried about the pickup issue and probably shouldn't have mentioned it to begin with.

My real concern is the pages are coming out blank and it's definitely not a driver issue as the blank pages I mentioned are being generated internally (status, configuration, supplies pages)

HP Recommended

I  did check the toner/print cartridge. It's a genuine HP 80x and report status online as being about 90% full. The teeth on the gear look fine, but I've ordered a new cartridge just to eliminate another variable.

I'm at the point wondering if the operating system is somehow borked. Is there any resource available to us non-HP types to get a hold of something to reinstall the system from scratch and try again? Only other thing I can think of is maybe the laser unit is hosed?

Just to note that I've been supporting laser production machines for more than 30 years, just not HP.  I did work for HP for a time, but was supporting the Indigo which is a whole 'nother beast. I primarily supported Fiery print controllers and whenever things starting acting strange this was one of the first things I try after eliminating the obvious suspects.

HP Recommended

Other than doing a factory restore or an NVRAM reset there is no way "change or fix" firmware on these devices. I have never seen a failed firmware cause blank pages and if the laser was bad it should throw an error to that effect.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

That's good information Trooper. I've done a factory reset, no change. Is the NVRAM reset when you unplug, wait, hold down power button for 30 seconds then plug in again? If so, I've also done that. The printer also reports it's firmware is up to date, so no hope there.

Any other suggestions?

If not, I'll just wait for the new imaging cartridge and if that doesn't work I'll probably just scrap it. But such a strange problem to have.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.