Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 7612 Wide Format e-All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have read several posts on this issue, but I haven't seen anyone with a successful answer to fix this problem. Just like other owners of the 7612 the issue seems to have happened during an update and then shortly after the printhead is undiscoverable.  Printer worked great up the that point. I really need a printer that prints are larger stock paper for the work that I do and I have not found a suitable replacement for this machine. 

i have attempted several fixes but no success.

I have pulled the plug and waited. I have turned the device on and off several times. I have replaced the printhead with 2 different printheads and I get the same error every time. The problem is that I am locked out of the printer menu and only can view the error message. I was hoping to access the main menu to do a hard factory reset back to the original drivers but there is no option to do that. I attempted to follow online recommendations of pulling the plug while the unit is on, hold in the power button and hold for several seconds while pushing the power cord back in. Nothing has worked.

I can view the ink availability in the ink cartridges by using the HP diagnostic tool, so I know that they are being detected properly. The print head slides freely within the unit and there are no obstructions. I even checked the scanner tool, and I can still operate the scanner from my computer, but I cannot scan anything by using the screen on the printer. 

When I searched the printhead is says that it cannot detect the product id of the print head for the old and the new ones. This sound like more of a software issue within the printer itself. I know HP built in safeguards to protect the unit from being damaged when there is an error, but the software has rendered the printer useless.

Is there a way to install new software into the printer using the usb port beneath the LCD screen? I do not want to invest hundreds of dollars to have a tech look at it and hand it back still broken. This seems to be too common of an issue for HP to not have come up with a viable fix other than suggesting to buy a new printer. Is there an honest fix for this or does HP have a built in self destruct into their tech to require you to replace your system every 5 years? Having shelled out a few hundred dollars for this product, I thought I was buying something of lasting quality.

If there is no fix for this then please give an honest answer and tell people the system is trash once they receive this error and not give out cheerful thoughts and best of lucks when they do nothing to solve the real issue.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @cmac711 

Welcome to HP Support Community. 

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you. 

I see that you are facing printhead issues with HP OfficeJet 7612 Wide Format e-All-in-One.

Kindly refer to the steps on this link and let me know if that fixes the issue.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Treeko

HP Support

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.