Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a recent Windows OS update, the "printer options" does not anylonger shows a colour option. So I cannot choose to print black/white, grayscale or colour.....
De-installed the printer. Re-installed the device (drivers). No positive results.....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@rene111

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are not getting option to change color in HP ENVY 4520 printer after windows 10 update. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Uninstall the printer software and install the printer with windows built in drivers.

Watch this YouTube video to uninstall the printer software.

You can also refer this document for more steps.

Install the printer with windows builtin driver.

You can refer this YouTube video to install the printer.

For more steps refer this HP Document.

Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color , then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already tries this procedure.

No positive results. Still no grayscale/colour/.... options in printer properties.

HP Recommended

Encountered a similar problems with color options, etc. not showing in preferences after the usual numerous remove and reinstall of drivers. Windows 10 home.  HP OfficeJet Pro 6968. This routine did work.

Type Printers in search box next to windows button far left in task bar & press enter.

Choose the printer currently in use and right click on it and then choose "Manage"

Then choose "Printer properties" then choose Advanced tab at top.

Go to driver and the box to right of driver should be the printer in use described.

To the right of that is box "New Driver" and click on it.

Add Printer Driver dialog box will come up and under manufacturer choose brand. In my case HP

Then under printers in the box to the right will show printer in use and in this case two versions or more will show of the same printer. In my case I choose the the alternate which has an additional letters of PCL-3 to it.

At this point choose the Next button only. do not choose Windows Update or Have Disk.

The next window will be a notification completion and then choose Finish.

Then the previous dialog box should still be up and then choose "OK"

Restart Windows. This should restore the ability to choose greyscale and color options when in preferences.

Cheers!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.