Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Due to a virus, I wiped clean my computer and re-installed Windows 7. Now I need the drivers for my Deskjet 970 Cxi.

When I click on  Printers in the Start menu, I have the Deskjet  970 Cxi  icon, but the pinter will not print a test page, or anything else.

I do get a test page by holding down the feed button on the printer.

I am not a happy camper, now that HP has adapted the hated and idiotic Micro$oft tactic of forced obsolescence, and HP no longer supports older, but pefectly functional printers. I spent big bucks and bought a HP 950C printer and a 970 printer because of the vaunted HP reputation. Kindly note that I have used HP products since becoming familiar with the HP 200 and HP 400 signal generators, as an Electrical Engineer in the Kollsman  Electronics Laboratory in 1960. In fact, I just bought an HP Notebook 15-ba019nr, to replace a wonderful HP Pavilion laptop that was stolen. As an aside, IMHO, Win 10 sucks! Oh, lest I forget to mention, a plactic part broke on my go-to HP 950C printer, causing me to use the HP 970 everyday.

Kindly note, that after recommending HP products to family and friends over many years, at 82 years of age, i am am enraged, and suppressing an urge to jump the proverbial HP ship, and purchase another more economical brand of printer, with more reasonably priced ink cartridges. I realize I am only one drop in the ocean, but if HP decided to treat its  loyal customers as x\cash cows, it may be a necessary move. Hopefully, the dolts in marketing will realize  that scheming to increase sales, they will lose customers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Michaelone
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

This message is for Michaelone 😛

Dvortex is unavailable at this time, However, I've looked into your concern,

And the steps suggested by the last tech seems like the only options available.

Hence, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Thanks for your continued participation on the HP Forums @Michaelone

I came across your message about the printer issue and wanted to pop in to help 🙂

I understand that you are trying to install the Deskjet printer to your Windows PC. Even though we do not have downloadable drivers for this model anymore, you can install the printer using the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps mentioned below:

• Restart you PC & the printer. Connect the USB cable.
  • Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer".
  • While the Windows is searching for the printer, click "The printer I want is not listed".
  • Now click the option which says "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings".
  • In the next windows, select "Use an existing port". "LPT1" will be selected by default. From the drop down menu change that to "USB..." port and click next.
  • When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.
  • Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.
  • Go to http://hp.care/2bYE4kP and follow the "Step 3" for instructions.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck & Wish you a very happy new year 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

This message is for DVortex.

Thank you for taking the time from your busy day to help me. As a retired Aerospace Engineer, I am aware of time wasted on piddly details, and I am doubly grateful.

After following your instructions, there appears to be some new problems, namely:

1.  The lamp above the Feed (?)  button keeps flashing orange. Pressing the burron does nothing.

2.   The cartridges are parked to the extrem left.

3.  Opening the top cover does not move the cartridge carrier to the center. This would present a problem should the cartridges need replacement.

4.  Nothing that I have tried will stop that lamp from flashing. That includes removing all cables from the printer and plugging them back in.

Kindly advise.

HP Recommended

@Michaelone
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

This message is for Michaelone 😛

Dvortex is unavailable at this time, However, I've looked into your concern,

And the steps suggested by the last tech seems like the only options available.

Hence, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.