Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
All printing applications
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Just installed this new printer - the tray itself  I cannot physically get it to SET at 8 1/2 by 11, all the levers etc. set it and then the paper slips and prints onto multiple pages as if its a different size...is there a physical illustration, video to show me how this works? No other tray has given me so many problems! Appreciation assistance.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@Debbwa

Welcome to HP support community.

Load and handle the paper carefully

1. Open the paper tray door, and then pull it toward you to extend the paper tray.

2. Gently pull out the paper tray extender, and then lift up the paper catch.

3. Slide the paper width guides to their outermost position.

4. Examine the condition of the paper, and then replace any ripped, dusty, curled, wrinkled, or bent paper.

5. Load a stack of U.S. letter or A4 size paper into the input tray with the short edge forward and the print side down. Push the stack into the tray until it stops.

6. Slide in the paper width guides in until they rest against the edges of the paper.

7. Push the input tray forward until it clicks into place. Make sure that you push in the tray all the way to avoid an error message.

Perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector and printer.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This does not help at all.

HP Recommended

I have the same  problem.  Have you figured out to adjust the tray to 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper.

HP Recommended

@Bebe10

Welcome to HP support community.

Try to create a custom paper size and check if you are able to print.

Here are the steps: Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Edit: I deleted all my previous input because I give up, lol.  Luckily, I don't need many paper copies, a lot can be scanned instead and I haven't had any trouble with that function. I wish you all peace with your printers.   ☮️

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I couldn't believe edited answers from the HP staff.

HP Recommended

Have you figured out how to lock the tray at 8.5x11 in?  Mine doesn't lock and just grabs a bunch of paper, thus printing over a bunch of paper 😠 I've now wasted a bunch.  When I slide it to 8.5x11, it doesn't lock or click or anything....

HP Recommended

Thanks so much.  There were no good instructions on how to set up the paper tray. 

HP Recommended

Debbwa - I realize your question was back in October, but I'm writing this in case anyone else has this question.  Take the paper out.  Look at where the width guides are located.  Just forward of the (toward you) to the right is a button in the bottom of the tray.  Push that and the tray will slide forward.  Put some paper in the tray then push the tray forward until it rests against the paper.  That should do it.

That answer provided by the "support" person looks like a standard canned BS answer.  Reset the printer?  Really?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.