Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi Bob, Can you explain how the printer is able to use the existing printhead to do an alignment page (which it prints perfectly each time) and yet will not print normally?

HP Recommended

@Haughfoot wrote:

Hi Bob, Can you explain how the printer is able to use the existing printhead to do an alignment page (which it prints perfectly each time) and yet will not print normally?

The Officejet Pro 8620 was released years after I retired from HP, so I do not have any specific knowledge, but I can suggest a possibility: Generally the printer will do some rudimentary tests at power-on and may do a more extensive test before printing.  Some cases will allow printing even if there are certain errors - for example,  a test page will generally be allowed to print, even in the case of a failure.  This is to allow diagnostic information to be printed even in the case of some errors.  I do not know that printing an alignment page would fall into this exception, but it is possible. 

I would certainly suggest reseating the printhead and cleaning the electrical contacts as I suggested in my post above.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have to agree it seems odd that these EXPENSEIVE print heads randomly fail.  I just recently bought a complete set of genuine HP ink (over $100) and used them for months without a problem..and all of a sudden AFTER the warranty is over the print heads FAILS.  I use my printer for home use to or 3 times a month.  Nothing hard or enduring.  A new head is OVER $150.00 and a new printer different model is $130.00 BUT uses DIFFERNT INK.  So now my 1.5 year older out of warranty printer and over $100.00 worth of ink are USELESS.  sounds like planed obsoleescense to me!  HP SUCK!  And the trouble shooting procedure is a joke.  HP should be ashamed to put such CRAP out there for there users..

HP Recommended

I don't even know what a printhead is.  And there is nothing in my book that I see.  It tells me that appears missing, not detected or incorrectly installed.  One day it was working and the next came up with this message.

HP Recommended

What is the printhead?

HP Recommended

@Vee73 wrote:

I don't even know what a printhead is.  And there is nothing in my book that I see.  It tells me that appears missing, not detected or incorrectly installed.  One day it was working and the next came up with this message.

The printhead is the electrical part with nozzles that spit ink droplets onto paper.  If your printer is the HP Officejet Pro 8620 I would suggest the troubleshooting steps in the document here.  The printhead assembly contains the printhead, electrical connection to the printer and also the parts that hold the ink supplies.

Image: Nozzles and electrical contacts

1. Nozzles
  2. Electrical contacts

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.