Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

No it does not solve the issue (plugging directly into the wall).

HP told me to unplug the printer from the UPS, but still there was no change.

Anyone tried to use the printer wirelessly, but using 11b or 11g with WEP (as opposed to WPA or WPA2)? I know of people who use this printer (but a year old model) that works flawlessly, but they don't use the newer encryption (WPA).

MD

HP Recommended

Eureka!  After months of searching the web and trying various things, I finally got it fixed!

Long story short:  new firmware.

I had firmware RBP1FN0907AR.  HP web site showed RBP1FN0935AR as the latest. 

One of the two fixes on the latest version was "Dissolve the network error message (B5) when a 2 wire AT and T router is used."  I'm not sure what that means but I AM using a 2Wire ATT router (ATT Uverse).

To determine your firmware version:

Push SETUP button printer

Right arrow to PRINT REPORT

OK button twice to print Status Report

#6 under Product Information will give you your Firmware version

Since I installed the latest firmware, my sleep problems have gone away!

Go the following link and choose your OS then choose FIRMWARE:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3795406&lang=en&

After you identify your OS and download the firmware, the printer will take about 5 minutes to do its thing (install firmware, reboot, etc.) so be patient.

If you don't have an ATT 2Wire Modem, I don't have any suggestions for you.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

It is a workaround not a fix. The problem goes away but the real fix is a driver that will wake it up....

HP Recommended

It seems to work. I installed the new firmware a couple of days ago and the printer is still working fine. It goes to sleep after some time of inactivity and wakes up when you try to print to it. If anything, it wakes up too often - I have my main PC set-up so it goes into a standby mode after a while and when i wake that PC, the printer wakes up, as well. I think it has to do with the HP Digital Imaging Monitor running on that workstation and waking the printer up every so often.

Even if this is only a work around, it is better than nothing. At least the printer works as expected.

HP Recommended

I am glad this is working for you, however, this is not new firmware - it was released about 13 months ago.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Hi,

i flashed the RBP1FN0935AR firmware, that is only after several times back and forth with the accompanying program which kept on crashing. No difference whatsoever - as well a fixed IP and Gateway blank helped only to some lesser extent and even my tinkering with the router's DTIM settings were not 100% getting me to a working printer.

I now have moved house and installed the printer next to the router, connecting with a ethernet cable. No problems of any kind anymore...

I just shelved 50€ more for nothing by taking the wireless version instead of the normal one. Ok, i have the duplexer, but for a inkjet the duplexer isn't worth, because you have to wait to let the ink dry anyway...

HP Recommended

As i said before, this might be a work-around only, but it helped me.

Interestingly, my printer claimed that  the firmware that was in the printer (RBP1FN0907AR) was newer than the installed firmware (RBP1FN0935AR) (even though, the numbers 907 vs.935 indicate otherwise). This was the main reason why I did not install that firmware originally (assuming that the printer knows better).

Another interesting twist to all this is that a friend of mine has a couple of these printers purchased about a year ago and he never had any problem with them.

Is it possible that some changes in the firmware that were introduced since a year ago cause the unintended problem with sleep and wake up problems?

Yet another thing probably is that the problems described here are not the same, so the solutions might be different, as well. And lastly, it is quite possible that the problem has not been solved, but that by changing the environment, the problem has been shifted (and it does not occur often enough to cause pain).

In my case, so far , so good. I need to watch the printer for at least a couple of days without printing to see if it actually solved the problem. When I am confident that the problem does not re-occur, I will report back.

MD

HP Recommended

The firmware update fixed mine.

Works very well now.

THANKS!

HP Recommended

An update. Unfortunately, even the workaround it isn't.

After the initial euphoria (;-), things are back to what they used to be, i.e. the printer freezes after a few days of staying in a suspended mode.

My initial successes can probably be attributed to the fact that I used the printer often enough that it never had enough time to freeze up. Additionally, it would wake up every so often, usually, when i re-started my PC (where the Solution Centre is installed).

So, unfortunately, this is not a solution at all.

I guess we are still waiting for HP to respond.

MD

HP Recommended

I've been having all the problems described previously by other users.    Before reading this string, I changed over to a wired setup with a fixed IP address.     This seems to be working, but it hasn't been that long yet either.

While I was trying to resolve the issue, I ran a Network Configuration report from the printers console.   Under the wireless section, it had the correct SSID and Authentication Type/Encryption, however the IPv4 address had changed to 169.254.242.225, a mask of 255.255.0.0, and a gateway of 0.0.0.0.    The Configuration Source was set to AutoIP.  I assume that means DHCP?

Obviously there was no way I or my DHCP server set any of that.   Could this be the reason everyone is having problems, it's losing it's DHCP client address?  

Before you ask, I've only had it a couple of weeks, and its firmware is 907AR.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.