Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, my 8720 printer is stuck in a error loop rendering the touchscreen inoperable to reset. I have tried the normative processes suggested- unplug, wait replug with no resolution.

The hp logo shows on start up with the progress bar, the bar freezes at one point and a screen pops up (less than a second) saying something about not properly shutting down, then blue screen of death with error code B841880 and circle bar for power symbol, then screen goes to verticle bars. I had to video and scroll through to see the information because from the time it has power to when it goes to verticle bars is about 5 seconds.

IMG_3286.JPG

This happened about two months after the warrenty ran out so I am not interested in technical support or service. I am intending to access the cmos battery and reset it that way. Any way to access the battery would be grateful.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@theEdwardian,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

When was the last time the printer was working fine?

Is the carriage moving freely?

Have you made any software or hardware changes?

Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I recommend you follow the below steps and check whether the issue is resolved.

1.With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

2.Remove USB cable, if present.

3.Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

4.Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

5.Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If you continue facing the issue, I recommend you try updating the printer firmware following the steps in the below article and test.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The_Fossette, Thanks for your reply. To answer your first set of questions, the printer was working fine prior, the carriage moving freely, no, no software changes, and yes I have performed the troubleshooting steps you suggest.

I aslo can't do a firmware update as suggested because the interface of the screen to is not responsive.

I think the only way to reset is to remove the cmos battery to get past the error loop.

I do notice there are three small squares of contact strips on a circiut board located on the underside of the printer, looks like some kind of access, maybe a shunt.

HP Recommended

@theEdwardian,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you perform the firmware update from the computer and check whether it helps.

If you continue facing the issue, I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks The_Fossette. I'm a bit miffed that this happened just a short time after warranty expired and am expected to be charged for a call. However, your attention is greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@theEdwardian,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.