Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

The HPC4580 is the biggest waste of plastic ever. I bought 2 of them, and they both died within a week of each other with the exact same problem "Print Cartridge missing or not detected", even if they are brand new cartridges. The contacts are spotlessly clean, there is no solution other than throwing them out the window. 

HP printers are cheap as crap, and frought with issues. I will never buy another one.

HP Recommended

Funn this is marked "Solved". My solution was to drop them in the can. If you got a solution it's just a temporary glitch. Wait a bit and you will never get past this message, even if you buy brand new cartridges and have spotlessly clean connections. 

HPC4580 is worthless. Complete waste of my money. 

HP Recommended

So what happens if a new CARTRIDGE does not fix issue?

HP Recommended

gjotwo,

The product would seem to require servicing. You can reach out to support -- at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl -- for servicing options.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
HP Recommended

I found the solution!

I BOUGHT A CANNON PRINTER (Pixma MX892). PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

HP Recommended

@jacksbr wrote:

I found the solution!

I BOUGHT A CANNON PRINTER (Pixma MX892). PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Great.  Make sure you check out the Cannon Forum in their web site manned with Cannon employees.

HP Recommended

Dont give up yet!

Print Cartridge(s) missing or not detected doesnt necessarily mean a new printer, or new cartridges??

Try this...I did, and it worked after weeks of random "Print Cartridge(s) missing or not detected" getting worse until it wouldn't print at all...

Hold the power and the cancel (X) button at same time

The screen reads "Enter special Key Combo"

Push the Blue (Top one) then the Green (Bottom one) then the Grey (Middle one)

Now the "secret" bit...

The blue button is now your UP button to take you through some options (The grey button is the down button now)

Press it until the screen reads "Resets Menu"

Press OK (Later on the Green button becomes the OK button - Thanks HP)

The screen then says "Country/Language reset"

Press OK again

Wait.............(Can take 15-20secs until...)

The printer will eventually switch itself off...

Wait 10-20 secs (Depends how impatient it has made you?)

Switch it back on with the (On/Off button)...

Answer all the regional and country questions (The OK button is now the green one)

Once answered...

Your back in the game...

Hope it all works

It did for me

Be Lucky

HP Recommended

Here is the closest answer to any of the problems so far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao2UJT60-hk

HP Recommended

The post from gjb59 on 3/12/2013 worked!  After my printer sat in storage for a year, it wouldn't print.  I bought off-brand (I believe they were refilled) cartridges... when I loaded them the first time, the "missing..." message came up.  I pulled them, cleaned the contacts, same message.  Then followed this guy's instructions and no more message... and the printer prints.  Thanks!

My printer:

HP Photosmart C4580

The cartridges I bought: 

$13, Sophia Global Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for HP 74 and HP 75 (1 Black, 1 Color)

Sold by SophiaGlobal (through amazon.com)

HP Recommended

Here is a video that will walk you through and correct the issur.....I hope this helps!

https://youtu.be/wUEYKKe_dsY

HP C4580 Printer Error: "Print Cartridge(s) missing or not detected" This is a temporary fix to clear the error, allowing you to print. I'd recommend cleaning the contacts on the cartridges also.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.