Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP p7-1423w pc and OJ8740 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I do a print test, I can see the job enter the queue, then the message that it was sent to the printer, then it disappears from the queue without printing.  Same result with word, excel, pdf, and image files.  This happened after the recent March win10 updates.  I installed the KB5001649 update with same result, and have since backed out the updates.  I have deleted and re-installed the printer and driver several times, with same result.  I can print the reporting tools from HP SMART on the desktop, and can also print with a HP laptop that is running win10 that I have not allowed the win10 updates on yet.  Can also print from 2 IPADs and 2 iphones with no issues. 

I tried changing the print port to same address listed with the laptop (ie~http://192.168.1.101:3911). The 8740 comes up with http://[fe80::42b0:34ff:fe7b:1fa0%17]:3911/ after each reinstall.

Also tried starting - stopping the que, check the que dependencies/etc.  Next step unless there are other ideas is to re-install win10.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@RS-Kingston 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who include phone numbers or email addresses in public posts.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

If you have not done so, check / adjust the Temp folder permissions.

Jobs in Print Queue Disappear

If the print job is making its way to the print queue and then disappearing:

• Temp folder requires full permissions, including Read / Write, for current user
  • Check / add / edit permissions for user (current login) on Temp folders

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Local\Temp

Example

Temp_Folder_Permissions_2Temp_Folder_Permissions_2

For those reading > Print Services Reset

• Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services
  • Scroll down, find, Right-Click and Stop Print Spooler Service 
  • Open File Explorer window (formally Windows Explorer)
  • Navigate to and Remove (Delete) files from C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

• Go back to the Services menu > Start Print Spooler Service

OR

• Restart the computer and log in

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I verified the permissions for C:\Windows\Temp, but there was no temp file under the users directory.  I did find this C:\users\default.migrated\AppData\LOCAL\Microsoft\Windows, and verified the permissions for each folder.

HP Recommended

@RS-Kingston 

I have no answer to that.

There should be a Temp folder in the user's account, owned by that user, and set to allow access to the folder / contents.

Example - Temp Folder - Security Owner - assuming use of a Microsoft login account 

Temp Folder Properties > Security > Advanced

Name:  C:\Users\Dragon\AppData\Local\Temp

Owner:  Dragon (DragonFur @ FancyMail.com)   Change

I cannot offer any advice that would be relevant to printing or using software / utilities without access to a Temp folder in the user's AppData hierarchy.  Temp folder is used to process jobs, install data and software, provide a location for logs...

Good Luck.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I looked again at the C:Users files, and was able to click view and then select hidden and was then able to see the temp files.  I set all the temp files for all the users to allow full access.  Then rebooted, but there was no change.

HP Recommended

@RS-Kingston 

Well, at least the Temp folder is there and is set correctly.

I forgot the Temp might be  hidden - I don't "hide" anything.

Edits - Updates / "For those reading"

I've updated my notes to include checking for "hidden" files / folders / drives.

Thanks for the reminder that people use Windows with different default settings.

Windows Updates must be current / installed.

Recheck / Apply Windows Updates > Restart the computer and log in

Printer must be present on the network / connected as necessary for operation and job submission.

Dropping connections can (will) interrupt the queue and jobs submitted to the printer

Recap...

Two essential parts to job submission and permissions setting discussed (so far) in this thread.

1.  Print Services must be working as expected in Windows 

Manual Queue Reset

Details…

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services

Scroll down, find, Right-Click, and Stop Print Spooler Service

Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)

Navigate to the folder and Delete the files from folder C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

Start Print Spooler Service

2. Temp folder permissions must support / allow job submission to the queue.

Reprint / Update (thanks to @RS-Kingston for the reminder to check / set Hidden Files setup)

Temp_Folder_Permissions_3Temp_Folder_Permissions_3

Original Content

The only other thing I can suggest is that you uninstall the full driver printer software > Restart > Install a fresh copy of the full driver > Restart.

The printer software is perhaps just fried (corrupted) after the update.  If this is the case, the reload of the printer software will take care of it.

Uninstall the printer software from Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in

Install a fresh copy of the full driver...

Method - Use the Easy Start Wrapper to Install the Full Feature / Full Driver Software

For printers that support the option,

Use the Easy Start wrapper to install and configure the printer software.

• Home Page - HP Easy Start 
  • Open Category Software and Drivers 
  • Topic: Software-Utility 
  • Download-and-Save  the current version of the Easy Start wrapper to install your print software 
  • If using USB:  Disconnect the USB cable between the printer and computer before installing the software.
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
  • Select to install the “Full Driver” / “Full Feature Software”
  • If using USB:  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the end of the installation process).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Notes >> Easy Start... The Journey

1. About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the basic driver or other application).

1. You can skip / ignore suggestion(s) that you add the HP Account – you’ll need the account at some point, for now, you can skip this suggestion (as many times as it insists it’s a good idea) during the full driver software installation.

1. If you see it, you can skip / ignore suggestion(s) regarding Instant Ink subscription.  Instant Ink subscription is NOT mandatory.

1. Full driver provides print and scan functions supported by your printer.

========================================================================

Check Category Software and Drivers for other updates, installation packages, and Firmware

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer series 

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.