Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My deskjet printer has not been printing text and if I attempt to print, only the logo that is present on the page will come out splotchy. I have tried multiple different documents and have also changed my ink cartridge. Does anyone know what's wrong?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @audreyprisc,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

When your Deskjet printer is only printing logos and the text comes out splotchy or doesn't print at all, it typically points to a few potential issues. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the problem:

Print Quality Diagnostic Report: Many printers have a feature that allows you to print a diagnostic report directly from the printer's control panel. This can provide clues about what might be wrong, especially if there are issues with the print heads or ink levels.

Check for Clogged Print Heads: If your printer uses ink cartridges with built-in print heads (common in many Deskjet models), the print heads may be clogged, particularly if the printer has been unused for a period. Use the printer's built-in cleaning function to try and unclog them. This process can often be found in the printer's maintenance settings.

Alignment and Calibration: Incorrect alignment or calibration can also lead to poor print quality. Look for an option in your printer's settings to perform an alignment or calibration.

Driver Issues: Ensure that your printer driver is up to date. Outdated or corrupt drivers can cause various printing issues. Visit the manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers for your specific printer model.

Paper Type and Quality: Ensure you're using the right type of paper for your print job. Using paper that's too thick, too thin, or not designed for inkjet printers can result in poor print quality.

Ink Cartridge Issues: Although you've already changed your ink cartridge, it's worth double-checking that it's properly installed and compatible with your printer. Also, ensure that the protective tape on the nozzle of the new cartridge has been removed.

Software Settings: Check the print settings in the software you're printing from. Ensure that it's set to print in the correct quality mode and that it's not set to print using only a draft mode or grayscale, which might omit certain elements.

Try a Different Document or Application: This helps determine if the issue is with a specific document or the application from which you're trying to print. If the problem occurs only with a specific document or application, the issue might be related to the file itself or software settings.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.