Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5660
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I started getting the photo tray blocked error shortly after trying to print labels on a glossy 8.8x11 sheet. The top 5th of the form prints and then ejects the form, but the print is still in the queue. I have followed all the steps recommended including powering down, unplugging from outlet, holding power on button for 30 seconds and then reconnecting. Also looked for any visible signs though, to be honest, not sure what or where I should be looking for any blockage. Unit is about 6 years old. Can't print on any anything now including standard paper.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Genovino, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue. If you have already performed the steps from the document HP ENVY 5640, 5660, 7640 Printers - 'Photo Tray Problem' Error and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes I had tried the solution in the link as well as other recommendations. The funny thing is that I wasn't even using the photo tray when the issue occured. As far as servicing this unit, the cost would likely be such that it would be better to buy another AIO printer. I would just need to find a home for the 5 unused cartridges. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

HP Recommended

@Genovino

Thanks for replying!

The support team can help you with those unused ink cartridges, do reach them for help.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I thought I had gotten past this issue as it was only occuring when I used a special 8.5 x 11 label form. It was working correctly for standard paper. Now, however, shortly after powering up it makes a loud noise and then goes into that photo tray blocked condition. Beginning to look more like the hardware issue you had mentioned. Servicing the device would likely end up costing the same, it not more, than buying a new printer.  Do you agree? I can get a new same model printer which I am considering only because I have not found another model with better reviews. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.