Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to print out some graphics I made for a project, and my printer is stuck in grayscale mode.

Here's what happened.  I printed the graphic several times to check for print quality (in color), and everything seemed fine, but I wanted a little better quality.  So I set the print quality to "best" in the printer properties.  Ever since I get prints in grayscale.  If I remove and reinstall the printer/driver color printing is restored, unless I again go into that dialog and try to change the quality to "best".  After that, it doesn't matter what settings I change, its stuck in grayscale.

I removed the driver I had installed, and installed the new driver through HP Smart.  I've even tried printing photos through the HP Smart app, and the problem persists.

I also have linux machine which has no problem printing in color, at high or photo quality, with an open source driver.  I can only assume that means that the issue is with the windows driver.

Printer is an OfficeJet 3830 on Windows 10, current.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jtk141

Thank you. This looks like an issue with the printer driver.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

Check for any pending Windows updates first.

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Remove the existing printer entry > click on Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Refer to this document HP printer setup (Windows built-in driver) for help.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jtk141, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to print in color. 

To assist you better, what model printer are you using?

Refer to this document to know how to find the Product Name or Product Number.

Are you using a Win 10 computer?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, I have an HP OfficeJet 3830 on Windows 10.

HP Recommended

@jtk141

Thank you. This looks like an issue with the printer driver.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

Check for any pending Windows updates first.

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Remove the existing printer entry > click on Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Refer to this document HP printer setup (Windows built-in driver) for help.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar,

Thank you.  This has solved the problem with printing.  I used the built in windows driver (said replace driver when prompted).  However, now I cannot use the scanner portion of the printer.  The software I am using reports no scanner connected. (NAPS2). Windows fax and scan also reports no scanner.

I worked around this issue by adding the printer again (so I would have 2 entries of the same printer), and used the HP driver for the second one.  I can scan from this entry, and print to the other.

HP Recommended

@jtk141

Glad to know that you are able to print. For scanning, kindly download the HP smart app from the Microsoft Store. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.