Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet 4560
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I am wirelessy connected from my mac. Recently when I try to print a page only some of the information is being printed and there are areas that are partially printed and faded. I did all the cleaning and alignment options in tools without affect.I also checked to make sure the ink cartridges were adequate. Any Thoughts on this? Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am glad I could help.  Please use the "Accept as solution" on the post that resolved your issue if you consider the issue solved.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve print quality issues on your Officejet 4650 printer.  If the steps there do not resolve the issue then I would suggest cleaning the cartridge and printer contacts as described in the document here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank You for your reply. I have tried the recommendations. I removed the cartridges and cleaned the contacts but they did not appear to have the crystilaztion issue. When I ran a diognostic print most of the information was there but once again the very first line of text which reads Print Quality Diagnostic appeared with the lower third missing. Itried to print a document and the same issues remain it is selectively printing some of the content and i can see slight remnants of where the missing text should appear.

HP Recommended

The result you describe could be caused by an electrical connection issue between the black cartridge and the printer, or by clogged nozzles.  If the edge between the missing areas of print and the properly printed area is sharp and distinct the issue is more likely to be electrical.  If the boundary is indistinct, with fuzzy black lines fading to white the issue is more likely due to clogged nozzles.

While the cartridges you have are not susceptible to the contact crystalization issue the cleaning steps may still be applicable.  Be sure to clean both the cartridge contacts as well as the contacts in the printer.  

If the issue is the nozzles (less likely from your descriptions) then running up to three cleaning cycles may help resolve the issue.

If none of the steps resolve the issue you may need a replacement cartrdige.  HP cartrdiges have a warranty (separate from the printer warranty), see the document here for information.

Selecting "Best" mode for qualiuty may be a short term workaround.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I will try a replacemnt cartridge and see if that does it. I do not do allot of printing and perhaps not using it for long periods is the root of the problem. I will let ou know if it works. How do I select "Best " mode? Thank You

HP Recommended

I am a Windows guy, so the terminology may be different, but you need to set the print quality higher as described in the document here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I set the printer to "plain paper best" no change

HP Recommended

OK, an alternative is to remove the black cartridge and print in single-cartridge mode as described on page 52 of the user manual here.

Use single-cartridge mode

Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP 2fficeJet 4650 series with only one ink cartridge. The single-cartridge mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the ink cartridge carriage. During single-cartridge mode, the printer can copy documents, copy photos, and print jobs from the computer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Nice work. I removed the black cartridge and did a print from the cumputer and 

"SUCSESS".

What is this telling me. Low Ink in black cardrige, defective etc.

Thank You very much for all your instruction

HP Recommended

I am glad I could help.  Please use the "Accept as solution" on the post that resolved your issue if you consider the issue solved.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.