Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 6234 All-in-One Printer

When I try to print photos on the shiny side of the photo paper I doesn’t work. When I turn the paper over (with the shiny side up) it prints fine - but on the back of the paper.

My printer is an Envy Photo 6234.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI @mrich,

That's great! Happy to hear that. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as Solution and Kudos, Thumbs Up buttons on the public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @mrich,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you are facing an issue with the photo paper orientation or printer settings. 

Here are some steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Check Paper Settings in Printer Software:

• Open the printing preferences or settings in the software you use to print.
  • Ensure that you have selected the correct paper type (photo paper) and size.
  • Make sure that the print quality is set to a photo or best quality.

Load Paper Correctly:

• Make sure the photo paper is loaded correctly in the input tray.
  • For most printers, the shiny side (printable side) should face down in the input tray.

Update Printer Firmware: Update the firmware on an HP printer

• Ensure your printer firmware is up to date. You can check for updates using the HP Smart app or the printer's control panel.

Clean Printhead:

• Perform a printhead cleaning through the printer's maintenance menu. This can help improve print quality and ensure the ink is being applied correctly.

Print a Test Page:

• Print a test page to check if the issue persists. This can help identify if the problem is with the printer settings or the paper loading.

Check for Paper Type Compatibility:

• Ensure the photo paper you're using is compatible with your HP ENVY Photo 6234 printer. Some photo papers may not be suitable for all printers.

Steps to Check Paper Loading:

1. Turn off the printer.
  2. Remove all paper from the input tray.
  3. Fan the stack of photo paper to prevent them from sticking together.
  4. Load the photo paper with the shiny side facing down.
  5. Adjust the paper width guides so they rest against the edges of the paper.
  6. Turn on the printer and try printing again.

Refer to this document: HP ENVY Photo 6234 All-in-One Printer

I hope this helps. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Gaya1239. 
My printer has been out of action so I haven’t tried out your solution yet. However it is working again so I will follow your advice asap and let you know the outcome. 

HP Recommended

HI @mrich,

That's great! Happy to hear that. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as Solution and Kudos, Thumbs Up buttons on the public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Gaya1239

Eureka! Success at last. Thank you for all your help. The thing that brought success at the end was the use of HP photo print paper. I had been using paper from another supplier. As a last resort I did everything that I had been doing before but I tried HP paper and lo and behold out came my prints on the shiny side.

Thank you once again for your help and support.

Have a good day.

Michael

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.