Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6520
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have an HP Photosmart 6520 with a clogged printhead. Only the black was clogged. The "clean the print head function" didn't help, instead it went from partial to completely clogged.  I tried the HP Virtual Support agent which lead to needing to a more involved printhead cleaning for some models. Unfortunately on the 6520 the printhead was not designed to be removed.  Searching the Community forum turned up a good post by Bob_Headrick about a different model that lead to a YouTube video showing how to clean the print head on a similar 5520.   Those directions may well have been successful.  Unfortunately I tried another video found earlier that removing the print head was needed to clean it.  I think though I have managed to clean the printhead and reassemble the printer and ribbon cables.  But on start up, the unit reports that "the printer was shutdown improperly".  Next it reports that the "printhead is damaged, contact HP Support". I suspect that a saved error state is preventing getting past this point.  Does anyone know how to reset the printer to get it to repeat the setup process? Or any other ideas on what else to try?  This was a great printer/scanner and I am still hoping to revive it, or at least use the scanner. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@SkiFan55, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document Black Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.