Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Enterprise M553
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I'm looking to increase saturation on color prints and I'd like to change the default toner density but can't find the option. My printer is connected via USB cable and I'm running HP drivers on mac. I've gone through the options in the embedded web server and read through the Administration Menu Map of the printer with no luck. I also tried using the HP Utility App and the option is not seen anywhere. The manual claims however that toner density is an option in HP Utility App:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04471650

p. 77 "Economode & Toner Density Configures settings to conserve toner."

I've wasted hours looking everywhere. Any relevant comments are welcome.

Karina
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After using the printer with frustration with what feels like ages I finally found the option. It was not my computer and it was not the driver. Also, the embedded web server I get doesn't look like the image posted above and doesn't include a search field, either. For anybody experiencing the same issue, the density can be modified in the printer panel options under Administration/General Settings/Print Quality/Adjust Color. Mine was set to zero and I was having lots of issues with faded colors on most if not all types of papers.

Karina

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, did you download the Printer Driver online? or did you have Mac automatically setup the driver? It may be that your using a generic driver, which doesn't offer as many features as the model specific driver. You may also try a different Mac O.S. version driver such as 10.10. or 10.12.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Hope this helps, thanks.
HP Recommended

You need to go into the embedded web server to access color adjustments

Repairatrooper_0-1600466797038.png

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

After using the printer with frustration with what feels like ages I finally found the option. It was not my computer and it was not the driver. Also, the embedded web server I get doesn't look like the image posted above and doesn't include a search field, either. For anybody experiencing the same issue, the density can be modified in the printer panel options under Administration/General Settings/Print Quality/Adjust Color. Mine was set to zero and I was having lots of issues with faded colors on most if not all types of papers.

Karina
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm having the same problem and my web service also looks nothing like the picture above, my printer is a color laser 150nw... could you explain where exactly you found the option to change density? TIA

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.