Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Pagewide Pro MFP 577DW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When i first got this printer everything ran great. Then out of the blue, tray 2 is stuck in this raising mode and I hear a clicking sound, It continues until I pull out the drawer.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There's a metal plate inside the paper try that lifts up the paper so it can be fed into the printer. Most likely something has broken in the paper tray, or there is some broken inside the printer. If you have another printer like this, just try a different tray.

There's a gear on the back of the tray with a gear bar & spring loaded cam assembly. You should be able to move that and see the plate go up and down.

If everything appears ok with the paper tray, then the mechanism that lifts the paper tray plate inside the printer has broken or the sensor that detects the paper has lifted is dirty or knocked out of place.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Thank You for that Toner Spills. I have taken the tray out thinking something was wrong. When I looked at the gear on the back side of the tray it seemed to not latch or that something was missing. You proved my theory, I guess I'll have to just replace the tray? Or is there a gear fix?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.