Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-One Printer

Is there a work-around for Ink that started in a broken printer, so I can use it in a different one of the same model?

I have 3 of the same printers (HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 Series) that I purchased during the Pandemic.  1st was purchased April 2020, 2nd Purchased Nov 2020, which was broken out of the box with a blue screen that couldn't be removed - at that time was called the "blue screen of death".

A 3rd (replacement) was purchased in Jan 2021. The Office Max by my house closed down during the pandemic, so I had to buy the replacement printer in a nearby city in January.  I put the broken one back in the box &  thought I could just exchange it, but Office Max was not taking any returns during the pandemic due to contamination issues.  It has been in a storage closet ever since then.  The 2nd one work a while, then got an error, I replaced all cartridges, spent time trouble-shooting online, then also got the Blue Screen. I left it at my closed-down office, and has never worked, but the ink was good. The pandemic lasted longer than my warranties on all of them.

The 3rd one (Serial# [Personal Information Removed])  is still working, and has been used for years with no issues.  In cleaning up my old office, I realized I have brand new ink in two broken printers, and wanted to use them in the remaining printer that has worked since I purchased it in 2021.   The one still in the box is factory issued ink, and says "Warranty Ends 2021/05" w/ code 3HZ91A on Cyan, 3HZ93A on Yellow, 3HZ92A on Magenta, and 3HZ95A on the black.

It tells me "instant ink can only be used in 1 printer".   I am already so mad when I think how much  money I spent on these printers, and that my warranties expired during the pandemic, therefore  I was unable to address the 2 broken printers, but the biggest frustration is that I can't use the ink that I paid for in those printers!!!  (If you can track the usage, I can send back the one in the box and you can see that it was not used!!!)

All I want is to use the ink that is BRAND NEW from one of the Broken Printers (Serial# [Personal Information Removed]or Serial# [Personal Information Removed]) and use them in the working printer (Serial# [Personal Information Removed]).

Please let me know what I can do to make this work.

JoAnne 

[Personal Information Removed]

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Is your current working printer enrolled in Instant Ink or were any of the units you purchased represented as demos that may have actually been returns? I ask because the only reason you would normally get error you are is if you tried to use ink cartridges supplied under the instant ink program as they will only work in an instant ink printer.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I don't think I was enrolled in that. I never rec'd any ink in the mail.  I believe the cartridges I'm trying to use were the starter pack that came with the printer that didn't work.  

Would the originals THINK they are InstantInk?

Is there a work around?  I have an entire set.  (I have another set that I did use in the other printer, that are still inside it.  I figured they wouldn't work either, so I haven't gotten it out of storage to remove them and check.)

HP Recommended

Normally I would next expect that the starter cartridges would identify that way, but I am not as familiar with this product line as the commercial product lines. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer that question for you.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.