Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

New printer.  Wireless button gives message "This feature has been disabled. Contact the person who set up the printer."

Cat 5 not connected.

Wifi is up, running.

Read the manual.  Tried directions on p. 103.  Touching Wireless button gives message, no option for reaching settings.

Searched this forum and full internet.  Some show display different from mine and instruct to press back arrow 4 times to reach settings.  No back arrow on my home page display on the printer.  

Tried "Restore Network settings". No effect.

Tried "Restore Settings-Network" under  Maintenance-Restore Menu, no effect.

Tried "Restore Factory Defaults" under Maintenance-Restore Menu, no effect.

Connected with Cat 5 cable and Tried using HP Printer Assistant, no options for turning it on.

Still connected with Cat 5 cable tried using web interface.  It likewise says "This feature has been disabled..." no option for turning it on.  

Please assist.  Thanks.  

Glenn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Glenn,

When the CAT5 cable is connected open the HP Printer Assistant.

From the Tools / Utilities tab click on HP Print and Scan Doctor.

On the shown windows select your printer and press Next.

Press the top Printer menu and select Resets.

Select Memory Reset and follow the steps on screen.

The printer will power off, turn it on and follow the steps to setup the printer, be sure to select "Self Managed" while reconfiguring the printer.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Glenn,

The printer will power off, turn it on and follow the steps to setup the printer, be sure to select "Self Managed" while reconfiguring the printer.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you.  That worked!  I had used Print and Scan Doctor before but never saw the reset option in the dropdown.  I appreciate you directing me there.  

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL wrote:

Hi Glenn,

Regards,

Shlomi

I tried that.  The CAT5 cable is connected.  The printer is still not recognised by the network - Netgear Genie.

I cannot access the network either with ethernet or wireless.   My old HP 8600 premium still works and is shown on Genie and HP printer support if it is tunred on,  So is an old Laserjet 1018.

It is as if they forgot to install the internet connection facilities.

HP Recommended

To reset the printer completely I was told to click the back arrow at the bottom left of the printer's display.  I replied that if you hit it once it disappears.

After nearly an hour of online chat I wa asked to do this again.  This time I was told to keep hitting the same spot 4 times even if the curved back arrow had disappeared.  That was the solution which eventually led to success.

By this time I had found that the ethernet connection did not work, o I was using USB.

I think everything is as it should be now with wireless network, although I have not had much opportunity to test it in a variety of situations.

HP Recommended

You solved my issue too, good to know that I wasn't the first one to missconfig the printer as IT Admin...

Thank you!

@ShlomiL wrote:

Hi Glenn,

Regards,

Shlomi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.