Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Seems everyone has this problem when replacing cartridges. My theory is that the hinges lower when circuitry in the cartridge is complete. But, perhaps using after-market cartridges the hinges don't lower, and when you close the top, the hinges break.

HP Recommended

Excellent engineering, now you have to buy a new unit, because they don't sell replacement parts. I also believe they hack your software so you can't use wireless anymore, so you're inclined to buy a new one. No more HP for me.!

HP Recommended

I thought I wouldn't be able to use my printer anymore, but was saved by someone's post - they removed screws and just laid the cover back on without hinges.  Was able to use printer again after we did this, and have been using it for more than a year since. 

HP Recommended

Yep.. kids broke the Left Hinge.  

tried to 'unscrew' the hinge, but couldn't get good access Soooo took my handy go-to tool (pliers) and just snapped off the bottom section.  

Then using small screws (3/4'') i put on a small hinge on the outside.   works like a charm now.

opens to 90degrees now. printer hinge

HP Recommended

My left hinge broke when I lifted the upper section to change the ink cartridge (I was not lowering it after replacing the cartridge as you have suggested). I have never used or installed after market ink cartridges-they have always been Hp brand specifically for this particular printer.  The flaw lies with the engineers who designed this hinge and most likely it was outsourced. I didn't feel comfortable using the fix one user described that calls for brass hinges and epoxy so I just removed the remaining hinge and what was left of the broken one. As long as the upper section is lined up with the lower and flat, the printer will work. However, changing the cartridge is now a two-person operation. I am however beyond very disappointed in Hp for this.

HP Recommended

hp j6480 both hinges broke. lid won't close fully.  How can I replace the lid? I took it to Staples where I purchased it and they said there was nothing they could do.  I work from home so not having a printer is making it very difficult.

HP Recommended

@mrl07 

Thank you for using HP support forum. I have sent you a private message. If you’re unsure how to check your private messages please click here.
Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Rock bookends still working as of November 2014.   Those hinges are flimsy, but ultimately unnecessary.

HP still going downhill.   I bought a Mac, will never go back.

HP Recommended

Thanks!!! This tip saved my bacon. Was able to use a very thin flat head screwdriver, pop out the hinges and finish printing my job. I'll try later to reposition the screws and hinges to see if I can get it refitted properly, but in the meantime, this is an excellent workaround. 

HP Recommended

I found the following and thought it would be helpful for everyone.  The hinge part number is Q8052-40001  and you can find it on ebay at  22$ at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Q8052-40001-ADF-Hinge-for-HP-LJ-5780-5788-57-40-57-50-6210-6208-6310-6318-64...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.