Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

WOW that sounds great but the hinges on my printer are plastic. I took my printer apart  to see if I could find a replacement part locally but NO luck. I even called HP parts and was told that my printer was obsolete and did NOT have parts for it. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hello 1parisienne. I understand the plastic hinges of the printer have broken off. Unfortunately, you cannot purchase these hinges anywhere, and they are not a replaceable part. We also don't have any supported method of re-attaching these hinges. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi...the same thing just happened to us.  We used a special type of screwdriver, unscrewed the two screws inside the

printer door hinge, and one on the back, (hidden under the little piece of plastic) and then the top hinges fell out and the

top fits perfectly.  Works fine.  We will just have two of us changing the ink cartridge.  One to hold the top, and the other to put in the cartridge.   Better than buying a new one.......

HP Recommended

I need to see how to reconnect both cover hinges.  They came loose while changing the ink cartridges

HP Recommended

Hi Michael

I have included a previous post with a couple of fixes that you may try.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/hp-J6480-left-cover-hinge-broken-while-...

Hope this helps.

You can call HP Tech Support to inquire about the trade in and trade up program.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks!  I had the same problem except both hinges broke.  I took both of them out and now at least I can print again.

HP Recommended

@gmross3267 - Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

HP Recommended

my hinges broke (hinges that expose glass bed) on my J6480. can't seem to snap them back in place please help

HP Recommended

Now I know to look at the blogs before I buy anything!  I can't believe how rediculously flimsy the hinge is.  Clearly a design flaw.

HP Recommended

Click on this link.  This is great info on how to take out the top two part of the hinges on the HP J6480.  Just 5 easy to take out screws on each side.  Once the top part of the printer sits flat it will work.  Of course you can glue some other hinges on the back but if your not changing you're ink cartriges all the time I say leave it alone.  Works for me.  What poor engineering!  Or was it?????

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-fix-a-broken-printer-hinge-and-door-sensor-/step1/Unscrew-and...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.