Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Anyone have any solution yet for this world wide problem?

HP Recommended

Hi,

recently i am facing same issue with hp 5510 printer.

i studied the whole mechanism, there is no way that the printhead will move left side by 5mm mechanically.

it has to be firmware issue.

lately the printer started showing error " printer ink system failure "

so its totally useless.

any update with the solution? any custom firmware?

Thanks in Advance.  

HP Recommended

That printer went to e-waste a long time ago.  HP gave me a good deal on a new Envy printer and this time I got the extended warranty!

HP Recommended

Carousel became misalignned--->on Laser Jet's; maybe same issue for those with "ink*".

Small white gears [Left & right] mating with 1/2 tooth [or index mark - depending on printer] on Main Carousel, "1/2 tooth" indexing out of place.

Causing gears to ride over each revolution...most likely caused by improper removal of cartridges [unlock lever probably broken off also].

e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKwsYipQ0Ag

or

* https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bud04237

HP Recommended

Get a new printer, that's what I did!  And get an extended warranty too.

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution for this problem ? My 5520 has started to make this noise a few months ago. Thanks

HP Recommended

Wow good to know I'm not the only one still using this printer! 🙂

I only use it a few times a month. When I first got it I was pretty concerned by the grinding and crunching sound but at least for me it has been very intermittent. For example, I hadn't heard the noise for a year and then a few weeks ago all of a sudden it happened seemingly out of nowhere.

So for me at least I will probably just put up with it until the printer dies.

I think if I was hearing the sound regularly I would be more concerned. How often does it do it?

Also, if you go through this thread you will find some people have disassembled the printer I think but no clear cut solution has been found?

HP Recommended

The printer makes the very loud noise each time i power on it. It's strange that it has started to make noise from one day to another.
Yes, i've read the whole thread and I've dismantled the printer, hoping to find a broken gear but i've seen none. All seems functionnal.
If only HP team could read this thread and explain us what's going wrong that would be very kind, isn't it ?

HP Recommended

I'm not sure how keen you would be to do this but finding out the cause of the problem would be interesting! Some ideas:

Somehow open up the case so you could see what was making the noise as it happens. Eg. Gear mechanism, wrong control command.

To determine if faults parts were the problem, construct replacement parts with different designs via CNC etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.