Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet 4620
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The scanner stopped working when connected by USB ....error message said "computer could not communicate with printer"

I then connected on the wireless network  and the test results said I had a successful setup of my wireless printer

I printed from my smartphone OK,   but when I come to scan I get the same error message

My computer tells me webscan is disconnected

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Purchased a new printer. Working fine now. Thank you

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @wassa1,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see that you cannot scan with your HP Officejet 4620, on Windows 8.1. I am happy to help you with your scanning! 

To verify the printer's hardware is fully operational, are you able to make copies by using the scanner glass?

In the meantime, please try the steps within this guide, A 'No Computer Detected' or 'Connection Error' Message Displays When Scanning for HP Officejet 4610 ..., and let me know the outcome! 

Hope to hear from you soon! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.” 

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi  RnRMusicMan,    I tried everything yesterday but not copying,   printer will not copy. Did you get a thumbs up?

HP Recommended

Hi wassa1,

Yes I did get a thumbs up, thank you very much! 

If the printer is not copying as well, it is possible that you may have a hardware malfunction with the printer itself. To verify this, let's check a few items: 

1. Are you using Genuine HP Ink Cartridges, or refills? 
  2. Are any of your Ink Cartridges low or empty? 
  3. Is the printer's power cable plugged directly into the wall outlet, or a surge protector? (The printer's power cable should be plugged directly into the wall outlet.) Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector. This applies to Inkjet printers as well.
  4. Is your printer's firmware fully up-to-date? Getting Printer Updates for HP Officejet 4620 and Deskjet Ink Advantage 4620 e-All-in-One Printer Se....

Otherwise, if you are using Genuine HP Ink Cartridges, and none of them are low or empty. As well as, the printer's power cable plugged directly into the wall outlet, and the firmware is up to date. Then I would recommend to have the printer serviced/or replaced. Please contact HP, phone support for further assistance. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best of luck! Smiley Happy

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi  RnRMusicMan,,  Almost out of yellow ink,  Cartridges are genuine,  cable is in wall socket, firmware up to date, still get "connection to computer has been lost"or "OCR is installed"

I am able to get hold of a new HP printer tomorrow I will set that up which will tell us whether or not this printer is faulty, I will then get back to you.

[Personal Information Removed]

Cheers wassa1

HP Recommended
Purchased a new printer. Working fine now. Thank you
HP Recommended

@wassa1

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see that you are unable to scan from computer. I would like to help you out with this issue today.

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• How is the printer connect to the computer, USB or wireless?
  • Which operating system is installed on the computer?

Meanwhile:

• If you are using windows OS follow the below steps.
  • Restart devices and check driver scan settings.
  • Check the network and printer connection status.
  • Run the Print and Scan Doctor.
  • Uninstall and reinstall the printer software.
  • Check Windows Image Acquisition settings.
  • Temporarily disable firewall software on the computer.

Click here and follow the steps mentioned in the steps to fix this issue.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.