Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP7855
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

my new 7855 hp wont print anything in color.  i printed the test page at setup but now i try to print a photo , it comes out in black and white.  I know there is enough color ink in it.  also the option isnt there that you can click on color or gray scale like my older printer.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BRIAN279

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Is the copy working fine?

Any hardware changes made in the printer?

Are you using genuine HP Ink cartridge?

Did you try with a different ink cartridge?

If you are facing the same issue while making a copy follow the below instruction.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

1. Gather the following materials:

• A clean, lint-free cloth or a clean, dry cotton swab

• Distilled or bottled water

CAUTION: 

Do not use tap water because it might contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.

2. Open the ink cartridge access door.

Image: Open the ink cartridge access door

3. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

4. Lightly press down on the ink cartridge to release it, and then pull the ink cartridge out of its slot.

Pressing down to remove the ink cartridge

CAUTION: 

Do not remove both ink cartridges at the same time. Remove and then clean each ink cartridge one at a time. Do not leave an ink cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

5. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Holding the ink cartridge by its sides.

6. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth or swab with bottled or distilled water.

7. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the cloth or swab.

CAUTION: 

Do not clean the ink nozzle plate.
    Cleaning the area around the ink nozzle

1. Nozzle plate - Do not clean

2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

8. Wait 10 minutes for the cleaned area to dry before you continue.

9. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the contacts toward the printer, insert the ink cartridge into its slot, and then gently push the ink cartridge until it snaps into place.

Snapping the ink  cartridge into place

10. Repeat these steps to clean around the nozzles on the other ink cartridge.

11. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Try to print.

If the copy is working fine Use this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-photo-7800-all-in-one-printer-series/9073159/model/9073... for changing the print settings.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

its a brand new printer. i didnt change any thing on printerhardware.  it printed in color at time of setup on test page  . its the color printer cartridge that came with it.  i have a new color print cartridge that is the instant ink version but havent put it in until this gets resolved.  how do you print a color test page . i cant find it in menu on printer screen?   isnt there a color or grayscale choice anymore with these new printers in setup?

HP Recommended

@BRIAN279

It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

Are you able to copy documents in color?

How is the printer connected, USB or Wireless?

Could you also print a print quality test report and let me know if it has color in it. In order to print the report:

1.) On the control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setupicon.

2.) Swipe up on the display, touch Reports, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

yes it copies in color, and it asks me if i want color or black..    during setup of printer my imac which is connected via usb cable to modem could not find printer so i connected the printer to computer via cable.     and yes the print quality in setup printed a color sheet.  

HP Recommended

@BRIAN279

Since you are able to copy documents in color, it could be an issue with the printer driver installed on your Mac. Connecting the printer to your home WiFi and then removing the existing printer driver and setting up the printer with Apple AirPrint may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1.) Disconnect the printer USB cable from Mac.

2.) Unplug your modem/router and leave it powered off.

3.) Restart your printer, from the printer control panel, touch "Setup". Touch 'Network Setup", touch "Restore Network Settings".

4.) Power off your printer

5.) Reconnect your modem/router and wait for it to re-establish its internet connection.

6.) Power on your printer.

7.) From the printer control panel, touch ( Wireless ).

8.) Touch ( Settings ).

9.) Touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

10.) Follow the display instructions to connect the printer to your home WiFi.

Once the printer is connected, use the steps below to setup the printer with Apple AirPrint:

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint or Secure AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.