Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I made a mistake and thought my ink cartridges were empty and installed the new ones. Now I find that I installed the new ones too soon. Can I reinstall the ones I removed and save the new ones?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@EdK101

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand you want to get the old cartridge back instead of the new ones inserted,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you encountered any issues with the old cartridge? 
(Curious, since you changed it while there was still ink on it)

While you respond to that, I must let you know that you can put the old cartridges and use them without any issues. However, the new cartridges are now open, so make sure you use the below link to store the ink cartridges, so that the ink does not dry out:

Click here for precautionary steps.

(With more cartridges, comes more responsibilities! ) 😉

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@EdK101

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand you want to get the old cartridge back instead of the new ones inserted,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you encountered any issues with the old cartridge? 
(Curious, since you changed it while there was still ink on it)

While you respond to that, I must let you know that you can put the old cartridges and use them without any issues. However, the new cartridges are now open, so make sure you use the below link to store the ink cartridges, so that the ink does not dry out:

Click here for precautionary steps.

(With more cartridges, comes more responsibilities! ) 😉

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My son sent me some pictures and I tried to print them and the colors came out all screwed up so, I assumed the problem was with my cartridges. Then I tried to copy some other pictures and had the same color problem. That comvinced me that my ink was bad.  Then I changed the cartriges and copied a photo the I knew was OK and it come out great. Now I am going to put the old cartriges back in the Printer. I notified my son that something is wrong with his PDF copier.

HP Recommended

@EdK101

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards identifying and leading you towards the solution for this concern.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know that you accept my suggestions,

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

Feel free to reply back in case you have any other queries or you need assistance with anything else,

That said, I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.