Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Although it cannot be guaranteed to solve all printing problems, a Hard Reset can solve quite a few of them and is often a good first step.  Try following the steps in the listed order.

1. Unplug all cables and memory cards from the printer.  Unplug the power cord, directly from the back of the printer while the printer is still turned on.
  2. Unplug the other end of the cord from the power source.
  3. If there is a power module on the power cord, disconnect one end and reconnect it.
  4. After 60 seconds, plug the cord directly into a wall outlet ( not a surge protector or battery backup ).
  5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.
  6. The printer should automatically power back up.  If it doesn't, turn it on with the power button.
  7. Try making a photocopy (if your printer is an all-in-on printer) before connecting any other cables to the printer.
  8. Connect any other needed cables to the printer.

If this resolved your issue, no further troubleshooting is needed.  You can take additional steps if needed, but this is often a good first step. 

It is recommended that the printer be plugged directly to a wall outlet to insure a consistent level of power.  Sometimes, when plugged into a surge protector or battery backup, the correct amount of electricity is not received by the printer.  Power issues can cause printing problems.  Being plugged directly into a wall outlet is especially important when experiencing wireless connectivity problems, sleep mode and other power issues.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Scroll up to the previous post for Hard Reset instructions.  🙂

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
HP Recommended

Scroll up to the previous post for Hard Reset instructions.  🙂

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I was redirected to this thread because of an issue with my printer.

After installing the new printer cartridges I have found out by my own experience, that sometimes before you go deeper into the complex hard reset you recommended to me here, it is possible to resolve the problem by simply, resetting the whole system, which includes both the computer & printer at the power point.

This might solve the problem quickly & simply, & will enable you to avoid any unnecassary complex troubleshooting. If I am wrong please post a reply message so that other people will not make a mistake by what I said on this reply.

HP Recommended

Hi gpmroy,

I moved your post to the Ink board.  Here is the url:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Re-How-to-perform-a-Hard-Reset/td-...

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

From what I have seek here in too many posts is that THIS PROBLEM HAS NOT BEE ADDRESSED BY HP! How can switching it off for up to an hour and trying this n that be considered a solution? The most important factor seems to be giving kudos and not getting a workable solution!

HP PLEASE DO WHAT'S REQUIRED TO FIX THIS ISSUE.

Customers are your lifeblood any yet this printer teeters on the edge of being unfit for purpose, and all you can suggest is a hard reset. No mention of what fundamental design issues have been built in to this product. I would say that at least 50% of the times I want to print the **bleep** thing has disappeared from my network and that boils down to no printer as it inevitably turns into a so g and dance with unplugging every thing, waiting for capacitors to drain and some, and then having to power down anything that could connect as it now can't see the **bleep** printer even when it does decide to start up. I only bought this printer (and its grossly overpriced ink) for the benefit of air printing and that it fails to deliver.

Simply put this is the worst printer I have ever owned!

Thanks HP for doing absolutely {word filter evasion} to support your customers! Kudos ... You must be joking!

HP Recommended

Followed to a 't'. Now it is checking device for over 10 minutes and will do so forever, as the last time it did it, it was over 2 hours.

HP Recommended

Hi MeredithL,

What is the full name of your printer?

What is the Model # for the printer?

What is the Product # for the printer?

I would start out with another Hard Reset.  Be sure to plug the printer directly to a wall outlet and not a surge protector, power strip or battery backup.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

HI,

HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless

I have done the hard reset so many times I've lost count. I have let it spin in "checking device" mode overnight because I forgot. One time it wanted to clean the print heads for hours. All of that after the hard reset. But every time, EVERY TIME The first thing that comes up is "don't you dare shut me down improperly" and the second thing is "Paper jam." However, having done the reset, this is the only time I've been able to push "ok" for the paper jam and the printer moves on. I consider that progress but it still seems hopeless to me. I just hate wasting things that seem like they could be fixed. I hate this throw-away society we've created.

Thank you,

Meredith

HP Recommended

I will answer at the following similar post.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Printer-Paper-Jam/td-p/126558/highlight/false/...

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.