Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung xpress m2830dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Samsung Xpress M2830dw that is several yrs. old, and I want to update the firmware. I have downloaded the file in a zip format, but it has a "hds" at the end and I can't seem to open it to extract and install  the file.

What am I doing wrong, Please help.

Mike

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
There are a couple of ways to do it. One way is through USB and the other is through SWS. When you extracted the files, there should have been a .pdf file with release notes (as well as prn, .hds, and .exe files). At the end of that file are the instructions on how to update through either USB or SWS.

If updating through USB (physical computer to printer connection), drop the .prn file onto the usblist2.exe file. Then drop the .hds file onto the usblist2.exe file. The printer will automatically reboot when done.

If updating through SWS, log in as administrator and select the Maintenance tab. Select either Firmware Upgrade or Application Management > Application. Select Add, browse for the .hds file, then hit OK. The printer will reboot when complete.

This is just a paraphrased instruction. Your best bet is to locate the .pdf file and follow those more complete instructions. Good luck!

HP Recommended

EOJTech, ok so I am thinking I will do the SWS method but I have a really stupid question> You say log in as admin, are you talking about logging in as admin in Windows?

Sorry 😞

Mike

HP Recommended
No such thing as a stupid question. You need to log in as administrator on SWS, not Windows. Open your browser and enter the IP address of the printer in the address line. You may get a message from your browser but that's OK, just blow through it.

Once SWS opens, locate the LOGIN tab. Assuming that the admin credentials have not been altered, enter "admin" (no quotes) for the user name and "sec00000" (again no quotes) for the password. Once logged in as administrator, locate and open the MAINTENANCE tab.

If there is no LOGIN tab, look for the tab named MAINTENANCE and open it. Some lower end models (no disrespect intended) do not have an admin function.

Open the FIRMWARE UPGRADE tab and follow the prompts. When asked for the file, locate the .hds file you extracted from your firmware download.

Be patient and wait for everything to finish. The printer may or may not power-cycle more than once on its own. If you think it's done, wait five minutes.

Good luck!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, but heres another dumb question ;

What is SWS ?

HP Recommended
SWS stands for SyncThru Web service. It's Samsung's version of a Web interface that allows users to access printer settings and information from the desktop. The versatility of the interface is largely dependent on the complexity of the device and the manufacturer.

In order to connect with the printer through SWS you must know the IP address of the printer. That can normally be found by printing a configuration page or network summary at the printer. Another way is to open the driver and check under Ports section for the address (the active port should be highlighted).

See my previous post to access SWS.

If you are connected to the printer through USB, SWS will not be available.
HP Recommended

Ok, thanks for explaining that.

I followed the instructions and after several tries ,was successful.  I now have a fully updated printer.

Thanks, Mike

HP Recommended

@EOJTech wrote:
No such thing as a stupid question. You need to log in as administrator on SWS, not Windows. Open your browser and enter the IP address of the printer in the address line. You may get a message from your browser but that's OK, just blow through it.

Once SWS opens, locate the LOGIN tab. Assuming that the admin credentials have not been altered, enter "admin" (no quotes) for the user name and "sec00000" (again no quotes) for the password. Once logged in as administrator, locate and open the MAINTENANCE tab.

If there is no LOGIN tab, look for the tab named MAINTENANCE and open it. Some lower end models (no disrespect intended) do not have an admin function.

Open the FIRMWARE UPGRADE tab and follow the prompts. When asked for the file, locate the .hds file you extracted from your firmware download.

Be patient and wait for everything to finish. The printer may or may not power-cycle more than once on its own. If you think it's done, wait five minutes.

Good luck!

EOJTech, HP and Samsung should give you some kind of award. Your detailed explanations in this thread are the ONLY reference I've been able to find that answered all the questions necessary to update the firmware on my Samsung M2070F laser printer. It worked!  

Thank you and I wish others besides me (at the time I posted this) would give you a thumbs up for your help. You seem to be the kind of person who just likes helping others with no need for kudos, but I think it might help others find your solutions. I'll just emphisize what the OP (mjbarr3) reported--I had to run through the firmware update process twice before the new version took hold. After the first time, it was still on the original firmware.

HP Recommended

Go to samsungprinter/ URL and login to the "syncthru web service". The default credentials are username:admin and password:sec00000.

In the maintenance section there is an upgrade wizard, just load the *.hd file there.

It will upgrade.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.