Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
C48x
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi Guys,

bought a brand new Samsung C48x Laser/Scanner.

It is connected via LAN and printing with my Mac directly worked without issues.

What is not workin is the scanner component.

Seems to be impossible to install the correct drivers.

Easy Printer Manager is installed and works.

Click on scan and it says "install scanner software".

Download scanner soft from here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/samsung-xpress-sl-c480-color-laser-multifunction-pr... - does not solve the problem.

It installs "something" but nothing happens.

Anyone with an idea?

cheers

Tom

By the way: it works on Windows 7, same configuration, connected via network.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings, @tomtombee,

Does scanning through the Mac OS Preview program work?

I have mine connected through wi-fi and have only been able to scan through the native Preview program, as a dedicated Samsung scan application was not installed with the standard Samsung package (I installed a version from the HP/Samsung website, instead of using the CD).

Cordially,

Marco.

HP Recommended

Hi Marco,

thanks for your answer.

Finally I got it running using the native Mac tools.

I could not find out how to install the Samsung scan assistant.

regards

Tom

HP Recommended

Update:

Well, it seems that I have spoken too soon.

Native Mac OS scanning (via Preview "Import from" option) still works on my iMac {0} but the TWAIN drivers do not work with my MacBookPro {1}, throwing a "-9950" error ("Software for this device is not installed (-9950)").

Only the ICDM drivers {2} are working (for me).

Both options come in the same Basic Scan Package available at the HP support download page [0], i.e. version 2.31.62 (2017-09-01).

Apropos, I just found out that the SL-C480FW is not listed as a supported printer by Apple [1], unless it is considered part of the C460+ series?

Marco.

Links

[0] HP Support Download Page for C480, https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/samsung-xpress-sl-c480-color-laser-multifunction-pr...

[1] Printer and scanner software for macOS High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks - Apple Support, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465#Samsung

Notes:

{0} iMac10,1 running OSX 10.11.3;

{1} MacBookPro11,1 running OSX 10.11.6;

{2} According to the associated ICDM version.txt file, it is version CORE=ICDM_FLAT_V2.01.43. The corresponding file for the TWAIN driver says CORE=TWAIN4NETWORKMAC_FLAT_V2.31.62;

HP Recommended

Update:

I successfully used the solution provided in another thread, entitled "Scanning problems with C480FW and macOS mojave" (native Mac OS 10.14 scanning does not work, must use Samsung application Easy Document Creator).

Edit:

FYI and IMO, the Samsung application Easy Document Creator is quite inferior to the native Mac Scanning application, e.g., when scanning multiple small documents placed on the same single page scan pass, the app creates one A4-sized file for each document, while the native app creates a file with an image with just the size of the given document.

Not to mention being unable to rotate each individual scan of a multidocument scan pass.

HP Recommended

Update:

Scanning stopped working with the native Mac application (Preview) on OS X 10.11.6 {1}.

The C480FW is listed in the list of printers and scanners tab in system preferences but with an "offline" status.

In this tab, clicking through "Scan" - "Open Scanner" brings up an almost blank "Scanner" window, where clicking on the only available button "Show Details", changes the window to another almost blank "Scanner" window, now with greyed out Preview-like buttons ("hide details", "overview" and "scan").

Double-clicking the printer entry in the Printers list (left subpane) opens a printer status window with a "The printer is not connected" warning.

However, direct printer network access is fine (i.e. pointing a browser directly at the printer's IP address yields the printer's administration page).

{1} iMac "10,1", wired ethernet connection, OS X 10.11.6;

HP Recommended

Well, no help, only a cry for help!

I see that new drivers OS Catalina are available (10. dec 2019) for both the printer as the scanner. But installing seems to be impossible, even if I open the privacy settings for malware. Anyone an idea? Once I succeeded to scan, via USB, but could not open de .pdf file, it should be damaged. I'm regretting my purchase!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.