Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung Xpress M2885FW

Hi, I own the Samsung Xpress M2885FW and every time after a power failure it just turns on automatically, which is undesired feature that I want to avoid. Can I modify settings so it does NOT turn on automatically after the power is restored? I want it to remain turned off if it was turned off before. Thanks, Dim

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I would guess that this is not possible for this reason. If the unit is powered down in sleep mode and then the power is cut off and reapplied this is the same as turning the main power switch off and then on. If there was a setting as you describe then you would not be able to power up the printer ever. If you no not want the printer coming on, turn off the main power.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I am sorry, but you suggest "If you no not want the printer coming on, turn off the main power."

However, this is exactly my problem; I am discussing the situation when I have turned off the printer and it turns on, undesiredly.

HP Recommended

We may be misunderstanding each other. The power switch typically found on the front of the machine is an electronic which puts the machine in a ultra low power mode but ready to respond when you press the switch and I assumed that was the switch you were using.  This is not the same as either a physical switch or unplugging the unit. Unlike PC's where you can dictate behaviour when power is restored, I have not seen that option on printers. 

Looking at some online photos of this unit it does not appear to have a physical switch so the unit will likely come on whenever power is restored. You could always set a very short sleep delay to have it go back into low power mode quickly.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

As you said "...this unit it does not appear to have a physical switch so the unit will likely come on whenever power is restored. "

This is exactly my case, so unfortunately I have to tolerate all printer sounds on startup every time the power restores!

This is extremely annoying since the printer is in the same room with a baby sleeping. I hope to get a firmware upgrade to solve this...

Or else, I have to unplug the printer and plug it in only when I have to use (annoying as well).

Thanks for the help, anyway.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.