Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5740e
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am trying to determine if this printer can use the ADF to manually build a pdf from 2-sided documents.  I am aware that it does not have an automatic 2-sided ADF, but the scenario I am think of is as follows:

- Give it a stack of documents in the ADF, and scan 1 side of them

- Manually flip the stack

- Recan the second side

- The software combines these all into the proper order

I know it can do a single sheet at a time, but I am looking to do this in stacks using the ADF.  I see conflicting information everywhere, and would rather not buy the printer only to return it.  Can someone confirm if this scenario works?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @santama1,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I noticed that you are wondering if your HP Officejet 5740 printer, can use the ADF to manually build a pdf from 2-sided documents, on Windows 8.1. I am happy to answer this for you! 

According to this how to scan guide, Scan Using Full Feature HP Software (Windows 😎, under the section titled, Step 3: Scan with HP software, and then the section titled, Scan a multi-page original into a single file. One section states: 

Important: The Scan Preview feature must be enabled in order to scan multi-page documents into a single file. Additional pages from the original are added to the single file in the Scan Preview window.

When the scan preview displays, perform one of the following actions:
  • Click the plus sign on the left side of the window to scan additional pages. If you are not using an ADF, load the next page of the document onto the scanner glass to add each additional page to the file.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the page order. Because the printer will scan each page in the order they are inserted into the ADF feeder. So if you stack say 10 pieces of paper in the feeder, it will scan the one side of each page, and then if you flip them over, it will scan the second side of each page in the order you have it in the feeder and add it to the file in that order. 

The only way to scan double sided in the proper order, as far as I can tell, is to scan the top of page one. flip it over manually, scan the back of page one, and repeat for the remaining pages. You might be able to find a third-party PDF editor, that could you could use to edit the file with. As this printer only has duplex printing, and not scanning capabilities. I would honestly look for a printer that has the duplex scanning capability that you are looking for. 

Hope this information helps! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi @santama1,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I noticed that you are wondering if your HP Officejet 5740 printer, can use the ADF to manually build a pdf from 2-sided documents, on Windows 8.1. I am happy to answer this for you! 

According to this how to scan guide, Scan Using Full Feature HP Software (Windows 😎, under the section titled, Step 3: Scan with HP software, and then the section titled, Scan a multi-page original into a single file. One section states: 

Important: The Scan Preview feature must be enabled in order to scan multi-page documents into a single file. Additional pages from the original are added to the single file in the Scan Preview window.

When the scan preview displays, perform one of the following actions:
  • Click the plus sign on the left side of the window to scan additional pages. If you are not using an ADF, load the next page of the document onto the scanner glass to add each additional page to the file.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the page order. Because the printer will scan each page in the order they are inserted into the ADF feeder. So if you stack say 10 pieces of paper in the feeder, it will scan the one side of each page, and then if you flip them over, it will scan the second side of each page in the order you have it in the feeder and add it to the file in that order. 

The only way to scan double sided in the proper order, as far as I can tell, is to scan the top of page one. flip it over manually, scan the back of page one, and repeat for the remaining pages. You might be able to find a third-party PDF editor, that could you could use to edit the file with. As this printer only has duplex printing, and not scanning capabilities. I would honestly look for a printer that has the duplex scanning capability that you are looking for. 

Hope this information helps! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for.

This is unfortunate as re-ordering the pages would boil down to a software feature, however I will look for a different printer with the capability I need.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

The answer posted by RnRMusicMan is not correct. When you scan to a PDF using the OfficeJet 5740 software, under Source there are radio buttons to select One-Sided or Two-Sided when you use the ADF. If you select Two-Sided, after it scans the first side of the stack, it displays instructions to take the stack out of the output tray and reinsert it in the feeder. (You turn it, you don't flip it, because it's already flipped in the output tray.) It then scans the second side and puts the pages in the correct order in the PDF. In other words, the function is built into the printer software.

HP Recommended

You are absolutely right Bob-99...thank you!

HP Recommended

Bob-99,

Can you give a bit more detail as to how to set thie semi duplex scanning up. what officejet software are you meaning on the PC or on the printer itself as I cant find a "source" area on the software?

Hope you can help.

HP Recommended

It's the "HP Officejet 5740 series" software that's installed when you install the printer. Here are screen shots of the desktop icon and the Start menu entry for the software, the scan option on the main screen of the software, and the scan dialog showing the Two-Sided option (red arrows and circle added).

Desktop icon

Start menu

Main screen

Scan dialog

HP Recommended

Bob-99,

Thanks for looking to help out, unfortunately where the screen shots should be there are triangles!

Regards, Bob

HP Recommended

Maybe you looked at my post before the moderator had approved the images? Do you see them now? I'm not familiar with the details of how this forum works.

In any case, when you get to the scan dialog, the "Two-Sided" option is at the bottom right.

HP Recommended

Bob 99,

As I feared we appear to have different software. I come through a number of screens to get to the one below and the "paper sides" is fixed at 1 and the source is as shown or flat bed with no radio buttons.

Scan info.JPG

I will take up with HP direct. Many thanks for your help.

Bob

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.