Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 9010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an OfficeJet Pro 9010 and an OfficeJet Pro 8730 - both wirelessly connected on the same wireless network.  Both run Full Feature drivers and in the past both have been able to 'Scan To Computer' through the front panel commands. 

I now have a problem that is when I scan a document using the ADF from the 9010 to my computer (also on the same network) using the front panel Scan>Computer option, select my Computer Name and Scan ,  the scan appears to complete normally but no file appears in the destination folder and there are no error messages on the printer or computer. 

The 8730 Scan to Computer function using the ADF does however work as expected on the same computer. 

• I have checked the config in the 9010 Printer Assistant Software in the Print, Scan & Fax > Scan - Enabled
  • I have confirmed the destination folder in the HP Scan application and the option to 'Launch Windows Explorer' once the file is saved is set 
  • I have done a factory reset on the printer
  • I have uninstalled the 9010 software and reinstalled the latest full feature version from the HP Support website
  • I have run the HP Print Scan Doctor with no improvement and no issues detected
  • I can initiate a scan from my PC using the HP Scan application and it scans and when I press 'Save' it saves the file to the correct destination and opens Windows Explorer as expected. 
  • Firmware is up to date on the printer
  • PC has been rebooted multiple times with no improvement. 

How can I get my Scan to Computer feature to work properly on my 9010 printer like it used to and like the 8730 still does? 

A quick look at other issues in this forum shows at least 2 more users with what appears to be exactly the same problem - on 901X printers...  Based on reading some of the other entries I tried scanning from the glass instead of the ADF - and it works if I use the glass!   I will follow the instructions from the other posts to see if that fixes my issue (too late in the day to do it now).  Is this caused by a recent Windows update perhaps that  affects the 9010 but not the 8730? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK - looks like I fixed it.  I did a 'root level' uninstall of all my HP printer files (both printers) as described in other posts for similar issues with the 9010/9015 and reinstalled the full feature software and it now works.  I've reinstalled the drivers for the 8730 as well and everything still seems to work.

So there's a few hours of my life I wont get back. In the absence of any input from HP on this thread, this looks to be a case where a Windows Update has updated a file and created this issue with the 9010 printers.  I assume my full delete/reinstall has put back the HP versions - lets see what happens at the next Windows update. 

Note that you have to delete ALL the HP software - I followed these instructions from another post (slightly modified based on my actual experience)..

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall all HP printing software.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer and FAX drivers. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.  FAX drivers may not want to delete - you may need to restart before they will delete. 

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here. Use the Full Feature software, not the Basic software. 

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I've tried the other solutions listed in this forum for the issue above but it hasn't fixed my problem.   I've changed the ownership of the file store using the commands provided in other responses, stopped  and restarted the ScantoPCActivation app, reloaded the software, deleted and re-added the printer from Windows>Settings>Devices>Printers & Scanners. 

Still the same issue - but only if I scan from the ADF - scanning from the glass works as expected. .

Looks like a software bug to me - and only recently come up after a year of problem free scanning using this method.  

Any suggestions? 

HP Recommended

OK - looks like I fixed it.  I did a 'root level' uninstall of all my HP printer files (both printers) as described in other posts for similar issues with the 9010/9015 and reinstalled the full feature software and it now works.  I've reinstalled the drivers for the 8730 as well and everything still seems to work.

So there's a few hours of my life I wont get back. In the absence of any input from HP on this thread, this looks to be a case where a Windows Update has updated a file and created this issue with the 9010 printers.  I assume my full delete/reinstall has put back the HP versions - lets see what happens at the next Windows update. 

Note that you have to delete ALL the HP software - I followed these instructions from another post (slightly modified based on my actual experience)..

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall all HP printing software.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer and FAX drivers. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.  FAX drivers may not want to delete - you may need to restart before they will delete. 

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here. Use the Full Feature software, not the Basic software. 

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.