Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Placing a document in the ADF and then hitting scan on the printer screen will ONLY scan from glass, despite the unit having detected a document in the ADF.  Copy automatically from ADF does work.  I saw another posting that says that to scan from ADF you need to do it from HP smart on the associated computer.  And indeed this is true.

My lousy Epson, which this was supposed to replace, has the option to do just that.  

Please tell me I'm wrong.  Please tell me that there's a one-touch way from the printer screen to scan from ADF.  Please don't make me take this thing back.   It seems so basic...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@imanengineertoo 

Cannot find an HP 9105 printer.

Not sure -

Try / Consider: 

• Install the Full driver (printer software) - Restart > load document into ADF > try scan

and / or

• Use Webscan

Details

Printer Software

If this is your printer:

HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Printer

then the User Guide (Page 54) confirms that the ADF can be used to Scan to Computer.

If you have not done so, please install the Full Feature Software for the printer onto your Windows computer.

Download-save-install HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software

About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full" driver set (as opposed to the basic driver).

After the printer software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

If necessary, enable "Scan to Computer" on the Windows computer.

Printer Assistant (shortcut icon on Desktop named for printer) >

Tab Print, Scan, & Fax > Manage Scan to Computer > Enable

Load the document into the ADF as described in the User Guide

Try your scan ...

Excerpted from Page 54

To scan an original to a computer from the printer control panel
Please make sure the printer has already connected to the computer before scanning.
1. Load your original print-side down on the scanner glass or print-side up in the document feeder.
2. Touch Scan from the control panel, and then select Computer .
3. Select your computer name.
4. Touch Start Scan.

Webscan

Another option (not necessarily "inclusive" but nice to know) - use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) in your browser to access / use Webscan.  This feature allows you to select the glass / ADF and other basic items for the scan.  Once the scan is complete, select to save the scanned item (as you would for other browser "saves").

Reference

Using the Printer Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Enable Webscan in the Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Security > Administrative Settings

CHECK ☑️ Webscan from EWS

Apply

9025_Webscan_PDF_19025_Webscan_PDF_1

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@imanengineertoo 

Cannot find an HP 9105 printer.

Not sure -

Try / Consider: 

• Install the Full driver (printer software) - Restart > load document into ADF > try scan

and / or

• Use Webscan

Details

Printer Software

If this is your printer:

HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Printer

then the User Guide (Page 54) confirms that the ADF can be used to Scan to Computer.

If you have not done so, please install the Full Feature Software for the printer onto your Windows computer.

Download-save-install HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software

About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full" driver set (as opposed to the basic driver).

After the printer software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

If necessary, enable "Scan to Computer" on the Windows computer.

Printer Assistant (shortcut icon on Desktop named for printer) >

Tab Print, Scan, & Fax > Manage Scan to Computer > Enable

Load the document into the ADF as described in the User Guide

Try your scan ...

Excerpted from Page 54

To scan an original to a computer from the printer control panel
Please make sure the printer has already connected to the computer before scanning.
1. Load your original print-side down on the scanner glass or print-side up in the document feeder.
2. Touch Scan from the control panel, and then select Computer .
3. Select your computer name.
4. Touch Start Scan.

Webscan

Another option (not necessarily "inclusive" but nice to know) - use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) in your browser to access / use Webscan.  This feature allows you to select the glass / ADF and other basic items for the scan.  Once the scan is complete, select to save the scanned item (as you would for other browser "saves").

Reference

Using the Printer Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Enable Webscan in the Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Security > Administrative Settings

CHECK ☑️ Webscan from EWS

Apply

9025_Webscan_PDF_19025_Webscan_PDF_1

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You are correct, 9015.  And that solved it, thanks.  Still,   too much work.  I can't believe that in 2019 I had to go through this.

HP Recommended

@imanengineertoo 

You are welcome.

Yes, we all expect things to get easier.  Smiling.

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I can't believe this....  what a piece of junk.  Once again, scan to computer button on front panel refuses to load from adf.  Only flatbed.  What do I do to permanently fix this, besides returning this and buying a Canon.

This is... let me see... 2019.  There is NO EXCUSE for stuff like this to not work seamlessly, perfectly, every time, under every circumstance.  

image.png

HP Recommended

Bump... seems like I have to download the scan doctor every 2 weeks or so.  Disappearing menus, 3 pieces of software (HP Smart, scan doctor, windows scan and fax, HP Scan software...).... I can't believe how bad this product is.  If I bang at it long enough and hit enough buttons and menus it eventually comes back but sheesh...

HP Recommended

@imanengineertoo 

Honestly, "bumping" here for product bashing is not likely to do any good.  In general, once solved other Experts are likely (out of courtesy) to stay away if new / different / other / even continuing issues crop up "after the fact".  

If the printer to which you are referring is actually the Officejet Pro 9015, then the printer has just the one tray, a flatbed, and an ADF (Automatic Document Feeder).  Relatively simple device considering.

What can get you into trouble - even if the printer is actually mechanically sound after all : The various shortcuts and dialog settings.  When left in a preferred condition, these will not just automatically reset themselves elsewise the next time you wish to scan something.

I am not about to get into a product quality shouting match.  Life is short.

I will add something here - that, IF the content is relevant - may help.

Reminder:  This is the "should be" and not presumed to be the "what is" scenario.

The printer is less likely to "disappear" if the connection to the network is stable.

• Consider using a Static IP address for the printer (and even the other devices on your network).
  • Use Ethernet if this option is reasonable for your environment.
  • Consider using a TCP/IP port.

Software and Preferences

• The printer software (Full Feature Software) includes HP Scan.
  • The software includes a list of pre-made shortcuts that can be used "as is" or modified and saved under a new "custom shortcut" name.
  • The "latest" (most recently selected) shortcut set in Printing Preferences on the computer, be it custom or standard, "sticks" the settings in that configuration.

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

Look for a message on the Printer Control Panel,

Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Set the Preferences - Windows

1. The following assumes the Full Feature Software has been installed.
  2. Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”
  3. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Set as Default

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Printing Preferences >

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

If the printer software supports the feature, change the settings as desired, then use “Save as” to create a Custom Shortcut.

OR

Windows key + S (search for) Printers and Scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage >

Printing Preferences

Select a shortcut and / or set “preferred settings” for paper, source (tray), other settings

Optional (if / as available): Save As > enter a name for your custom shortcut

Click OK to save the preferences

Example menu

9025_HP_Scan_Menu_19025_HP_Scan_Menu_1

• The settings on the printer can be set using the Embedded Web Server (EWS) > Settings > Preferences
  • Although settings should not "jump" between copy and scan, it might be best to check and make sure, for example, that your copy is set to allow 2-sided.  It is not directly related, but 2-sided to 2-sided (when supported) implies use of the ADF.  Don't like this assumption?  Ignore it.

EWS_9025_Copy_Defaults_2EWS_9025_Copy_Defaults_2

• HP Smart is not dependent on the Full Feature Software but it can make use of shortcuts in its Preferences.
  • Set up the primary settings for the current job, click into More Settings

HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_1HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_1HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_More_Settings_1HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_More_Settings_1

The Full Feature Software - model dependent - may include Scan Profiles.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers 

Right-Click on Printer > select name if necessary,

Select Scan Profiles

Edit / Add / Remove

(Interface might be slow - be patient if it drags)

If I think of anything else, I will edit this post.

You may, if you wish, start a new thread on the subject.  I might monitor it - but I will stay away so someone else might offer something new / different / useful.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.