Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I  replaced the black ink in my printer, it printed out the dozen or so copies in black that I asked it to.  When I later tried to print out an email, it only printed pink, which was part of the email.  I knew I needed to replace red and blue as they were both low.  After all colors were at exceptable levels (new cartridges), I tried printing the email again.  All colors except black printed.  I changed the printer to print just black and white.  The printer acted like it was printing but there was no ink on the paper.  

I cleaned the print heads, did the printer status report and the  print quality report and test printing as per the instructions and it will print every color except black.  All ink cartridges are at acceptable levels.  

Do you have any suggestions on why this is happening?  Could the black be clogged, needing to be manually cleaned?   If so, how do I clean it.  Are there any other explinations as to why this is happening?  It's past warrany so I'm hoping you have suggestions or ideas.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @ckeran3,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 🙂 Good Day! 🙂 Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I reviewed the post about the printer not printing in black.  It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here.  🙂

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. :)I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. 🙂  Stupendous diagnosis and troubleshooting were done before posting your query. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

First off, we need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

Please try these steps.

• Please perform a hard reset.
  • Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
  • Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  • The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
  • Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
  • Then check by printing a test page. If that does print in black, please try to make a few copies in black: Please try to make a few copies directly from the printer without any intervention from the computer. Please place the required document face down on the flatbed scanner and touch the copy button. If it copies fine, then the issue could be software related.

If the copy does not come out well, then please try with another back cartridge as this cartridge could be faulty. Finally, if nothing works, the printer has a hardware issue and needs to be replaced.

This link could help: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Photosmart-Plus-All-in-One-Printer-series---B2/3777155/model/...

Please note that the cartridge would still be under warranty. So you could get a replacement cartridge without a charge by contacting HP phone support via this link: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country and type the product# of the printer. Then follow the on-screen instructions to contact phone support.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @ckeran3,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 🙂 Good Day! 🙂 Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I reviewed the post about the printer not printing in black.  It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here.  🙂

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. :)I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. 🙂  Stupendous diagnosis and troubleshooting were done before posting your query. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

First off, we need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

Please try these steps.

• Please perform a hard reset.
  • Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
  • Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  • The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
  • Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
  • Then check by printing a test page. If that does print in black, please try to make a few copies in black: Please try to make a few copies directly from the printer without any intervention from the computer. Please place the required document face down on the flatbed scanner and touch the copy button. If it copies fine, then the issue could be software related.

If the copy does not come out well, then please try with another back cartridge as this cartridge could be faulty. Finally, if nothing works, the printer has a hardware issue and needs to be replaced.

This link could help: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Photosmart-Plus-All-in-One-Printer-series---B2/3777155/model/...

Please note that the cartridge would still be under warranty. So you could get a replacement cartridge without a charge by contacting HP phone support via this link: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country and type the product# of the printer. Then follow the on-screen instructions to contact phone support.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you DavidSMP.  It looks to be a hardware issue then.  It still won't print black and the only thing done differently than your instructions is that I cannot reach the wall outlet so it was plugged back into the power strip surge protector.  Only other thing plugged into it with the printer is an overhead light source.  
Thank you anyway for your help.   Crazy because it just printed black a few days before.  Oh well.  I will keep the ink in the printer till my husband runs out of his (we use the same HP564).  Then I'll toss this printer and buy a new one or just start using his till it goes belly-up.
BTW, could dust cause hardware issues? 

HP Recommended

Hi @ckeran3.

I thank you greatly for the response. I wish you very well. t has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I hope things work great for you and the machine. Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you here. 

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

DavidSMP,  It is not a hardware issue, it is an ink cartridge issue.  Hubby finally switched cartridges like I asked him to, to test if it was cartridge.  Printer is fine.  Trying to get a hold of phone support.

HP Recommended

Hi @ckeran3,

I read you post ad reviewed it comprehensively. When I spoke about a hardware issue, it includes a cartridge also, which is a piece of hardware. However, very good deductions and diagnosis were made by you. A commendable job was done. Hats off to you on that score.:) It will even make sherlock Holmes green with envy. 🙂

To contact Hp phone support:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you here by keeping your best interest in mind. 

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @ckeran3,

I read you post ad reviewed it comprehensively. When I spoke about a hardware issue, it includes a cartridge also, which is a piece of hardware. However, very good deductions and diagnosis were made by you. A commendable job was done. Hats off to you on that score.:) It will even make sherlock Holmes green with envy. 🙂

To contact Hp phone support:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you here by keeping your best interest in mind. 

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @ckeran3,

I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. It has been a fabulous experience to share this platform with a technically competent and tech-savvy person like you. 🙂

I hope the printer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.