Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2640 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My scanner on my deskjet 2640 has been working fine until a couple of months ago.  I got it running after several days of fighting with it, downloading the Scan Dr, new drivers, etc. Now, once again, it won't recognize the scanner.  It recognizes the printer, which I don't use any more (laser available) but it won't recognize the scanner.  I have done all the special rituals suggested like not plugging in the 2640 to the laptop until after the printer is up and running, etc.   Now, I can't get any help from HP, and I can't see why all of a sudden it won't work, even with new download of updated drivers, etc. 

I have been a loyal HP customer since the 1990s.  I recommend HP machines.  I won't anymore HP has made it impossible to get help or even chat with anyone live to tell me "it's not use, give it up."  The last time I got the scanner running, I had finally given up on HP and contacted Windows, who responded immediately. Got the scanner running for a week, then had to work on other projects.  Now, it's back to the old "can't connect to scanner" or "plus in the printer/scanner" or "update drivers" or "run Scan doctor" or "error code" -- the excuses/suggestions are endless and all have been repeatedly applied. 

I have limited income now having been laid off during the pandemic, so just buying new machine isn't really easy.  And if I do -- which is looks like I will have to -- it will NOT be an HP.  

Anyone have any ideas about how to get the laptop and printer to talk to each other as they used to?  I'm running Windows 10 64 bit, and they were talking to each other just fine a few months ago -- and even last week!! after I struggled for a few days to get them talking.  Now, five days later, we are back to zero even when I assume the proper shamanic attitude and do the proper magic rituals.    

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @ckzmooncat

Welcome to HP Support Community. This is a great place to post questions and find answers.
Thank you for posting your query. I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are facing scanning issues with your HP DeskJet 2640 All-In-One Printer.

Please follow the steps listed below to uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Step 1: Please follow the steps to uninstall the drivers from this link

Step 2: Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties.
1. Open Settings.
2. Click on Devices.
3. Click on Printers & scanners.
4. Select the printer and click the Remove device button.
5. Click the Yes button to confirm.
Once you've completed the steps, the printer will be removed from your device.

Step 3: Download and install the drivers from this link

Let me know if this helps.
Take care and have a great day ahead.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.