Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520 all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I scan, the scan picks up and includes the horizontal white ribbon image at the back of the glass ( shows green ) . The image is in the same position as the white ribbon and runs the length of the scan area just like the ribbon. This problem started a few month ago while copying. The copy would come out with a black image of the ribbon printed across the paper.   I am using a different computer now, (same model of a Gateway) and have loaded new ink in the printer . The " ribbon image does not show now on printing or copying ,but, does show on scans. I have ran the HP scan doctor ,but, after when I did the test scan, the ribbon image is still there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Have included a scan .Scan.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@cardman

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. 

I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue while scanning. Don't worry I'm here to help.

Let's try these steps -

1) Take out the cartridges. 
2) Unplug the power cord from the printer & wall. 
3) Wait for 30 seconds.  
4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not to a surge protector. 
5) Insert the cartridges back into the printer.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware. Please refer to this document for steps. 

If the issue still persists please try the steps that I have sent you a Private Message. The troubleshooting steps are specific to your printer.

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Let me know how that pans out. 

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the purple "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Asmita 6658,

Thank you for responding. I tried your firmware update suggestion first ,and, I did have an update and it loaded ok ,but, did not solve the problem. On your first suggestion about taking out the cartridges , #2, unplug the power cord from the printer and wall. Do I do that without shutting down the printer first ? I have read that not shutting down the printer correctly can cause problems ,and, I just want to follow your directions correctly and take nothing for granted. I have not viewed the private message as yet as I want to try this suggestion first as you recommended .

thank you, cardman

HP Recommended

Hi @cardman

Since @asmita6658 is not in the office, I will take this forward. 🙂

Turn your printer on and then follow the steps to disconnect the power cable from the back. Once this is done, check your private message.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Cheers

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello Mathew,

I followed the steps in the private message but no change . One thing to report is that in trying these different things, I have printed out about 3 alignment pages ,and, every one that I placed on the glass received the message  " the alignment page was not detected " I try again and get message "default print quality is selected" press ok . I do and the screen goes to the standard " copy,scan,printables" screen. The alignment page prints out very bold and clear colors with no problems or missess that I can see. ??? Need more help.

cardman

HP Recommended

@cardman

Thanks for getting back to us. Appreciate you trying the troubleshooting steps. This looks like an issue with the scanner component. I'd suggest you contact the phone support team regarding the service options for your printer -

1)      Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)      Select the product type.

3)      Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)      Select the country from the drop-down.

5)      You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.