Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 6420e All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Envy 6420e Firmware 2104B

O/S Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 Bit

Connected via USB cable (don't want to use wifi)

I bought this a couple of months back, but have never been able to use, or even successfully install in some cases, scanning

I have tried various versions of HP software, 

Full webpack 51.6.5453-SJ0001

Full webpack 5.3.5043-EN6400

HP Easystart 13_5_8

HP Easystart 14_1_4

HP Easystart 13_4_8-EN6400_55_3_5043_2 Web pack

HP Easystart 13_6-5-EN6400_55_4_5081_1 Webpack (which is the current one I have installed)

As well as installing nothing, i.e just letting windows install its own drivers

All installs from having cleaned out and un-installed any old HP software and rebooted

Printing works fine. Scanning does not work at all.

When trying to scan with the current software installing using HP Scan, i) HP Scan takes an extraordinary time to start, like around 30 minutes, and ii) when it does I get an “Unable to Communicate with the scanner” message

Using third party software (NAPS2) it sees the scanner (and has a TWAIN and USB option) but trying to scan will result in a “An error occurred with the scanning driver” error. Once again after an extraordinary amount of time (i.e around 30 minutes)

HP Print and scan doctor 5.6.4 sees the printer fine, and communicates with it, but  fails on the “driver check”. It says “The Scan driver is unable to communicate with the product. Save your work, and then close all applications. Remove power from your printer by pulling out the printers power card. Plus the cord back in, turn the printer back on and then click Restart Computer”. If you follow those instructions then after the restart print and scan doctor will just tell you that it is unable to resolve the issue and to contact HP

It isn’t the cable, the same cable works fine with other printers/scanners, and in any case printing works fine with this cable/printer.

So it seems to be some kind of driver issue

So, has anyone succeeded in scanning using Windows 7 and an HP Envy 6420e via USB and if so what software did you install and in what order to get it to work?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@larcy, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand you are able to print but not scan. 

Use the MS Paint app to scan and check if that works.

Try making a standalone copy from the flatbed glass and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Use the HP Scan Extended app to scan and check if that helps.

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

You can Download-Save-Install > HP Scan Extended  

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response

MSpaint tries for ages saying "trying to connect to scanner" and then fails with "unable to retrieve picture from device. Verify the device is properly connected and try again"

Stand alone copy works fine, always has

HP scan extended fails as described in the first post, i.e tries for ages and then says "Scanner Communication cannot be established"

HP Recommended

@larcy

If the printer is able to make a copy, it means the scanner hardware is working fine.

I see that we have tried all the possible steps to resolve this issue. There are no other apps that can be used to scan from a Win 7 PC.

If you have an alternate user account on the computer, install the printer software and check if that works.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is a driver issue, not a hardware issue. HP Print and scan doctor says it is a driver issue.

I don't have another account on this machine. But it should be possible to resolve a driver issue, no?

HP Recommended

@larcy

Yes, it is a software issue. The printer hardware is working fine as mentioned in my previous post.

However, we have tried the reinstallation multiple times. To re-verify, refer to the below steps:

Perform a clean reinstallation of pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-feature driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had tried that already. In fact that had been the last thing I had tried just before putting up the first post on this thread

There is no "HP Printer Driver" as mentioned in step 9. There are several various HP drivers for printing (10 to be precise) , but none called "HP Printer Driver"

HP Recommended

@larcy

If the issue persists,

• I've sent you a private message with further instructions to resolve this issue.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank-you. You suggested that I contact HP support. That isn't a viable option as they only provide telephone support ,unless you know a way to get a case opened online?

HP Recommended

@larcy

Yes, it is phone support. There is a chat option too. You can create a case as I mentioned in my previous message. No other options are available to resolve this issue as all the necessary steps have been tried already.

A remote session is required for further assistance.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.