Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
01-08-2023 04:50 PM
I am unable to scan thru the document feeder. I can print using the feeder, but not scan.
Also, how can I change the default scanning from JPG to PDF WITHOUT the use of the smart app ?
01-09-2023 10:49 AM
Welcome to the HP Community Forum.
If you have not done so,
Install the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software.
The Full Feature Software includes HP Scan.
Method - Use the Easy Start Software to Install HP Smart and / or the Full Feature / Full Driver Software
Easy Start Installation Package - Information and Download / Save
- Open Home Page - HP Easy Start >> Click to open Category Software and Drivers
- Download and Save the current version of the Easy Start Software installation package to install your print software
Easy Start can be used to install your printer software or the HP Smart application.
If the HP Smart Application is (already) Uninstalled, Use Easy Start OR Get a new copy of the application from the Microsoft Store
If you want to install the full driver printer software, choose the "Full Software and Drivers" option during the Easy Start installation procedure.
Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software
- If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers
NOTE: If the printer also installs Help files - Uninstall the printer help file package from Programs and Features when you are uninstalling the main printer software.
- >>> After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers. If the printer is listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.
- If using VPN, shut it off to install software. NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.
- Reminder: If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software. Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).
- Observation: It is possible (assuming your Wireless Network is stable) that using a Wireless connection to install the printer software might work better than using an Ethernet Connection. Personal choice - the Wireless connection method is recommended when you face insurmountable issues installing the software.
- Download and Save the Full Feature Software Web Pack installation package or the Easy Start Software
- Open File Explorer
- Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file (likely Downloads)
- Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator”
- If using a USB printer cable to connect the printer to the computer, connect the cable when instructed to do so, near the end of the installation procedure
- After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in
If using Easy Start
- Skip any extra software / offers you do not want – Wording varies as does the number of times you have to “skip” or opt-out of various options.
- When asked, opt for "Full Software and Drivers" (exact wording might vary).
- If, after the Full Software and Drivers option is selected, the installation terminates (suddenly stops and disappears – never comes back): Open your Downloads folder > Look for and Right-Click on the full Web installation package and “Run as Administrator”
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”
Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Printers and scanners
Scroll down > Switch OFF Let Windows manage my default printer
Scroll up > Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Set as Default
Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners
UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer
Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default
References / Resources
Example - Full Feature Software - Programs and Features - Installed
Examples - HP Scan - Main Menu
HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources
Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems
“Things that are your printer”
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more
Thank you for participating in the HP Community --
People who own, use, and support HP devices.
Click Yes to say Thank You
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community