Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't receive faxes but I can send them. How do I resolve this issue?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Gilchristsports

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

i understand that you are able to send faxes but unable to receive them

I'll try my best to help.

To begin troubleshooting, print a fax test report to identify any issues with the printer, phone line connection, or fax settings. On the printer control panel, locate Run Fax Test or Fax Test Report in the Fax or Setup menus.

Review the report for any tests that failed and follow any instructions provided. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Check fax receiving settings

Confirm the following fax settings to help identify issues when faxes are not received. Fax setup and preferences settings are in the Fax or Setup menus on the printer control panel.

• Turn Auto Answer on: If this feature is not enabled, you must manually answer incoming fax calls.

• Set the number of rings to answer incoming faxes: If you have an answering machine, allow it to answer all calls first so the printer can detect the fax tones after the machine answers the call. Change the Rings to Answer setting to a higher number of rings than the answering machine is set for.

• Adjust the answering machine message length and clarity: To ensure the printer can detect fax tones, shorten the answering machine greeting message to 10 seconds or less, make sure there is no background noise, and leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

• Set the ring type: Use the All Rings setting for a dedicated fax line, or select Distinctive Ring if you set up a special ring pattern for the fax line.

• Enable error reporting: Turn on the Fax Error Reports feature to print a report if an error occurs when sending or receiving a fax. 

Step 3: Check the connection

Check for phone line connection issues that might prevent faxes from being received.

• Check the phone line: Connect a phone to the wall jack and try to make a call. If the call fails, or there is no dial tone, check if another phone or device is keeping the line open. Additionally, if you hear static, there might be interference from nearby electrical appliances (motors, fans, kitchen appliances, or televisions) and/or coax cables, or there is an issue with the line quality that requires attention from your phone service provider.

• Use the fax cord that shipped with your printer: HP fax-capable printers ship with a two-wire phone cord. If you are using a different cord, confirm the connector does not have four wires. Shorter, higher quality cords work better than longer cords of lesser quality.

Connector on a two-wire fax cord

• Remove other devices from the phone line: Devices such as answering machines, modems, or other telephones might cause faxing issues.

Additional troubleshooting

If the previous steps do not resolve the issue, reset the printer, check for any hardware or phone service-related issues, and restore the default fax settings.

Note:Re-add any printer settings and preferences that were removed after a reset or settings restore.

• Reset the printer: With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cable from the rear of the printer and the wall outlet, wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the power cable.

• Remove conflicting phone line services: Services such as voice mail and call waiting, or services designed to prevent undesired calls such as anonymous call rejection and privacy manager can interfere with incoming faxes. Contact your telephone company if they are interrupting fax communication.

• Restore fax settings to default: Restore factory default fax settings, and then run the fax setup wizard again.

Note: For testing purposes, you can send a fax to the HP Fax Test Service at 1-888-HPFaxme (1-888-473-2963). This free service sends a return fax within 5 to 7 minutes when the fax is working properly. Your fax number must match the number you entered in the fax header for the return fax to send.

You can refer to this Link: https://hp.care/2JdLYcY

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.